ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Radar Screen with Approaching Storm

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin PetersonRadar Screen with Approaching Storm
by on Dec 4, 2013 at 3:23:36 pm

Hey folks,
I am looking to make a radar screen (I've found how to do that on some different threads) but I would also like it to track the weather. As if it was a Doppler radar you might see on the weather channel, with dynamic or shifting rain/storm. Essentially so that I could have a radar screen with geometric shapes representing 'the enemy', encroaching on the main base, and then a storm mounting and wiping out the enemy... Is there any way to do this? Particle effects maybe? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Radar Screen with Approaching Storm
by on Dec 4, 2013 at 3:31:15 pm

I would suggest using the Noise effect, with the size settings fairly high, so that your seeing areas of color rather than small dots. A good way to get something you like quickly is to use the Brainstorm button to quickly get results you like:

If you need to control the color in your screen "doppler" display (say, different from the standard red/yellow/blue), you could bring the saturation down so you have greyscale splotches, then use Tritone to color them the way you want them (white/midtones/black settings). To show the enemy base being wiped out, you might have to create a custom graphic for the display, so that when the storm passes, there is nothing there.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Radar Screen with Approaching Storm
by on Dec 4, 2013 at 4:11:01 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 4, 2013 at 4:27:37 pm

To get the radar return to look realistic, you might want to either refer to or USE images from the National Weather Service. I took a couple of minutes and came up with this:

It has some good radar images -- both reflectivity and velocity -- taken over the course of several minutes.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Radar Screen with Approaching Storm
by on Dec 4, 2013 at 6:39:38 pm

i've done doppler animation using fractal noise, mr mercury, mosaic and colorama...

if you don't want the movement of the storm system to move much, you can dump mr mercury and use a mask.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved