ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Chromatic Abberation + Glow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Pozzer
Chromatic Abberation + Glow
on Dec 3, 2013 at 6:46:49 pm

hey, just wondering if there is a technique or a plugin that will add Chrom.Abbr. to a glow, so instead of getting just glow, you can start to fringe the glow with some color. I think i saw that AuthorityFX had a lens glow plugin which kinda did it, and i know Element3D's built in glow can do it, but im not aware of anything like the standard glow effect that can add the color fringe.

anyone know of a plugin that does this, or a technique? im sure i could figure it out with a whole pile of precomps, but plugins are easier! thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Chromatic Abberation + Glow
on Dec 3, 2013 at 7:30:23 pm

GenArts Sapphire's S_Glow allows you to control the width of the red, green, and blue elements of the glow independently. It's a really beautiful glow effect.

You could roll your own pretty easily, too, with three built-in Ae effects. First, use Extract to establish a threshold for the glow. Next, use Channel Blur for independent control over the blur radius in each channel. Finally, use CC Composite to Add or Screen these limited blurs back over the original, making a glow.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Aaron Pozzer
on Dec 3, 2013 at 8:32:50 pm

great info as always walter. thanks!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Dec 4, 2013 at 6:04:40 pm

In addition to Walter's suggestions I'd also add that the Out of Focus effect from Frischluft's Lenscare plug-in (http://frischluft.com/lenscare/index.php) will allow you to use a custom blur kernel to great effect. Essentially you feed a simple lens element with chromatic aberration into the custom alternative iris and can get some great results.

There are even some real world kernels available here: http://www.nukepedia.com/gizmos/filter/lenskernelfft_v01

The closest you can get to real world chromatic aberration :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Aaron Pozzer
on Dec 4, 2013 at 11:00:38 pm

thanks Dan. more ammo!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]