ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Keyframes and Graph Editor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric BigmanKeyframes and Graph Editor
by on Dec 3, 2013 at 4:09:29 pm

Hey Guys,
So I have This,, set up showing in my graph editor. It is just a short move where I change the position and the scale of an object to look like a camera is moving in an arc over it. The problem is that it peaks at the top of the motion and has a noticeable sort of jerk to it. Everything I do to try to smooth it out doesn't seem to work and I think the problem is that big drop in my graph editor. Does anyone know what it is and what I can do to fix it?

Return to posts index

John HudsonRe: Keyframes and Graph Editor
by on Dec 3, 2013 at 4:30:19 pm

I would say the simplest thing would be to just use 2 keyframes. The first and last. Control the arc by adjusting the bezier handles of the first and last keyframes in you comp window to achieve the arch you want. Generally the less keyframes the better.

Return to posts index

Eric BigmanRe: Keyframes and Graph Editor
by on Dec 3, 2013 at 4:57:45 pm

Hey John,
Thanks for the reply.

The problem is the effect is achieved with both the scale and the position keyframes. Manipulating one changes the other. Is there way to join them?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Keyframes and Graph Editor
by on Dec 3, 2013 at 8:29:59 pm

I'm with John on this - as a general rule of thumb, use as few keyframes as is required for anything that you animate/keyframe.

Two other tips I'd like to add -
1) Use the value graph editor as well as the speed graph editor. oftentimes, the value graph is overlooked BUT it can solve a lot of kinks in an animation which the speed graph can't/doesn't

2) You can change the influence handles of more than one property such the selected keyframes for those properties share the same influence handles. To select keyframes for multiple properties, ensure that their keyframes are viewed in the Graph Editor - use the eyeball menu at the bottom of the Graph Editor to choose which property keyframes are shown in the Graph Editor.

Then either CTRL+ALT+A to select all viewable keyframes OR marquee/lasso select the set of keyframes. Then drag the influence handles to suit your needs.

There may however be limitations to the efficacy of this procedure in cases where the speed graphs of the two properties are vastly different - but it's still a worthwhile trick to know.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved