ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Masking/keying subject and background are similar color

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron PetersonMasking/keying subject and background are similar color
by on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:59:05 pm

We begged the client to let us book a stage with a green screen, but they insisted that the backdrop they had was fine.
And, of course, when they saw the final video, they mentioned that it was in fact, NOT fine. It looked terrible.
So they asked if we could replace the backgrounds with white.
I've had really good luck with all of the other videos, but these last three are killing me.
The shirts they changed into are so close to the background color in the highlights, that it just bleeds all over the place.
I've tried using, color, luma and rotobrush with little success. His right shoulder and right arm seem to be the toughest spots.
Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Here's a still from the video.

http://imgur.com/a/Bbq1n

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Masking/keying subject and background are similar color
by on Dec 3, 2013 at 2:18:03 am

Some hand-animated masks will do the trick (i.e., conventional rotoscoping). On a shot like that, it'll be tedious but not too bad.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Aaron PetersonRe: Masking/keying subject and background are similar color
by on Dec 5, 2013 at 7:39:26 pm

Todd thanks for your reply, I've thought of this, but at 4 minutes of footage for each video, and nine of these to do, there's just not enough time.
We might just have to shoot it again (correctly) and bill them for it.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tyler WiethornRe: Masking/keying subject and background are similar color
by on Dec 5, 2013 at 3:31:45 pm

A shot like that you might be able to pull a luma key if you can get it dialed in just right. Trying taking that frame into Photoshop and applying curves. Then use the eyedropper adjustment to build a curve that really lifts that luma on the white screen, while keeping the guy as dark as possible. Then export that curve profile and import it into curves in After Effects and apply it to this clip. (I say to use photoshop because the curves adjustment interface is much better, AE requires a lot more guessing) From there, make as tight a garbage matte as you can, apply threshold and give it a light blur. Use that layer as an luma matte to the original footage. I would try this before you start down the roto road.

Return to posts index

Aaron PetersonRe: Masking/keying subject and background are similar color
by on Dec 5, 2013 at 7:38:31 pm

Great! I'll give that shot - thanks so much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]