ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Audio sync off

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tobias Van KleeckAudio sync off
by on Dec 2, 2013 at 4:46:29 pm

I have about a 1/2 GB file of a 90 minute presentation on the timeline and when I play back the first minute or so, the audio is synced up fine with the speaker's lips. I jump halfway through, it's off a little bit. I jumo to the end, it's off by about a full second.

To be clear: The audio sync is COMPLETELY FINE throughout the video when opened in Quicktime. I simply need to add an opening animation and some titles to it; I've also tried to edit in Premier with exactly the same problem arising. The file is on the actual HD of a 2012 MacBook pro (not playing off an external HD), 8GB RAM, quadcore processor so I don't see how it could be playback lag thing. I have also restarted the computer.

Any help would be OUTSTANDING. I'm seriously all out of ideas.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Audio sync off
by on Dec 2, 2013 at 5:57:23 pm

What kind of file is this? Where did it come from?

iPhone/iPad video is apparently variable-frame rate, and this can result in weird sync issues.

Since QuickTime seems to like it, I'd suggest using a QuickTime-based application to transcode it to another format. Consider using Apple Compressor or MPEG Streamclip to transcode to ProRes or DNxHD.

You might also consider filing a bug with Adobe [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tobias Van KleeckRe: Audio sync off
by on Dec 2, 2013 at 8:14:37 pm

Well, this was ripped from a DVD using Handbrake and transcoded to .mp4 and H.264 codec so I wasn't anticipating this sort of problem. There were 4 DVDs - two about an hour long and two about 90 minutes. It could be coincidence but, the hour long presentations are synced just fine. All the files aren't particularly big in any case.

I do have MPEG Streamclip so, I may just try that for the hell of it. Thanks for the suggestions!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Audio sync off
by on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:43:34 pm

[Tobias Van Kleeck] "

Well, this was ripped from a DVD using Handbrake and transcoded to .mp4 and H.264 codec..."

If you have the opportunity to re-rip and transcode to one of the codecs Walter mentions, you will get a bit better image quality.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved