ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Expanding objects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie JohnsonExpanding objects
by on Dec 2, 2013 at 2:50:16 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to create an effect that shows a single screen, the camera then zooms out to show the screen in black space and a number of smaller screens emerge from behind, floating in the black space at different distances from the camera. Hope this makes sense, tricky to describe! There's an example of it here at 1:32 -

Is this something I can achieve with an expression or will I have to animate each screen independently? Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Expanding objects
by on Dec 2, 2013 at 4:14:36 pm

If it were AE alone, it would appear that they used a particle system.

But this is a demo reel for a good production house, so it's tough to know if that's the ONLY piece of software they used in that shot.

The whole idea behind a demo reel is to impress the viewer with one's capabilities. That's just one shot, taken from a longer piece of work, so it might also have been built in a 3D application... to make it easier to integrate into the portions of video that you DON'T see in that reel.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Expanding objects
by on Dec 2, 2013 at 4:31:46 pm

Charlie -

You might want to take a look at PlaneSpace, from Red Giant. It allows you to do all sorts of effects along the lines of your reference, and will also allow you to animate size, position, and other aspects of your layers without keyframes:

Granted, there's a learning curve associated with PlaneSpace, but with it, you can achieve stuff in hours which would take you days to do with keyframes.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Charlie JohnsonRe: Expanding objects
by on Dec 2, 2013 at 5:26:03 pm

Thanks Joseph, that's really useful. I'll have a look into this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved