ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rotoscope not holding frames

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronald CzarneckiRotoscope not holding frames
by on Dec 1, 2013 at 7:25:23 pm

I am using After Effects 5.5 and am trying to rotoscope 34 seconds of footage at 24 fps. After I do about 7 seconds the previous frames change and I lose vast sections of previous frames that are now not enclosed.

My workflow is to open the document/load the video/drop into new composition/select brush and start rotoscoping.

I thought once you completed a frame it would stay as you went forward in the video. I know you have to freeze frames but after doing that the previous frames are all off.

I guess the technique is good for about 4 or 5 seconds only, nothing larger. Thanks for your thoughts.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rotoscope not holding frames
by on Dec 1, 2013 at 9:18:44 pm

If you're trying to use Rotobrush intuitively, you're making a VERY bad move. Plan and simple, you can't use Rotobrush by just clicking on a couple of buttons and hoping for the best. It isn't at all intuitive.

Go to AE help, look for the rotoscoping resources, and find Rotobrush. Read up on it and run the tutorials so you understand how it works.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ronald CzarneckiRe: Rotoscope not holding frames
by on Dec 1, 2013 at 9:31:28 pm

Thanks I figured it would be more complicated then this video from Adobe:

I am now working with Mocha trying to do specific areas and track those areas, then combine those overlapped areas.
Rotoscoping with Mocha for AE Part 3: Create & Link Shapes

I am just disappointed it was not keeping the key frames as in the tutorial Adobe had. Question; should I break down the 34 seconds into four sections?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved