ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Reset Transform to different Values

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis FriesReset Transform to different Values
by on Nov 30, 2013 at 9:17:06 pm

I'm working on a fairly complex after effects puppet, and I was wondering if there was a way to change or program each layer so that when I hit the reset button in transform, it resets to values of my choosing. This way I can have like a reset keyframes to puppet origins type button.

Thanks,
Dennis

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Reset Transform to different Values
by on Dec 1, 2013 at 1:09:34 am
Last Edited By Roland R. Kahlenberg on Dec 1, 2013 at 1:10:01 am

NO! ;-)

You can however create an Expression Checkbox to set Transform props to specific values.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Dennis FriesRe: Reset Transform to different Values
by on Dec 1, 2013 at 4:31:44 am

I didn't think there was a way to do that, so the checkbox control is a good idea though thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 1, 2013 at 10:43:26 pm

So another question for you now... I have a reset position checkbox expression that looks like this:

if (effect("ResetPosition")("Checkbox") == 1) {
[-105.9,446.5]
}else{
value
}

Which works great for referencing the original position when the checkbox is on, but it doesn't really reset the value. Is there a different expression I could use to generate a keyframe at that original value which I can define? It doesn't have to use a checkbox necessarily.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Reset Transform to different Values
by on Dec 2, 2013 at 2:18:53 am

[Dennis Fries] "Which works great for referencing the original position when the checkbox is on, but it doesn't really reset the value."

I don't understand this. Is your layer a child layer?

I suggest you post your Q at the
COW's Expressions Forum and provide as much details as you have.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Reset Transform to different Values
by on Dec 2, 2013 at 6:00:32 pm

[Dennis Fries] "I'm working on a fairly complex after effects puppet, and I was wondering if there was a way to change or program each layer so that when I hit the reset button in transform, it resets to values of my choosing. This way I can have like a reset keyframes to puppet origins type button."

How about introducing a null layer as an intermediate for your transforms? Add the null, parent the layer to the null, and make your base transformation adjustments to the null. Then, for animation, make your transformation adjustments directly to the layer. When you reset the transform controls for the layer to their defaults, they'll be relative to the base transforms on the null, not the comp space.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Dec 3, 2013 at 12:53:08 am

All of the layers operate differently. Most are Null objects that I use as controllers for puppet pins, others are precomps, etc - all are parented to something or another so I don't want to introduce an entirely new set of nulls for everything since it's a pretty complex puppet already. Also, a lot of layers are additionally driven by sliders and angle controls that manipulate the puppet as a whole - allowing full body rotations and stuff like that.

But for example, an arm is a single image driven by three different null objects (shoulder, elbow, hand), each moving a different puppet pin inside the artwork. Ideally, I would like to be able to click a button that moves the null object back to it's original position, and creates a keyframe there. That way if I move the nulls around and they get way too out of proportion, I can have a reset and everything looks normal again.

It's for a character I'm going to spend a lot of time animating, so I'm trying to make the rig as intuitive as possible. Any ideas for a workaround or how to do this would be helpful.

I don't know if it's already too late to get something like this going - like if there was a better way to zero out all of the positions before I got going aside from shift+pickwhipping it to a null.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]