ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Using Photoshop to paint video frames. Best way?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene ConstableUsing Photoshop to paint video frames. Best way?
by on Nov 29, 2013 at 5:19:26 pm

Hi.
I have been tasked w the job of removing/blurring out the advertisements on the hoardings in this ice skating footage as the ice skater spins and jumps around infront of them.

I thought I'd try importing the selected frames into photoshop..

working process so far:

0. import footage into photoshop, this creates a layer per frame

1. Apply video deinterlace effect.

2. start w frame 1 use freeform pen tool to to quickly draw selection inside the advertising panels

3. convert path to 1 px feathered selection and add layer mask to layer, effectively creating transparency where the selection was drawn. (did this so I can then soften the selection where required as the figur has soft edges sometimes caused by motion blur)

4.Repeat for all 174 other frames (in this case)

I did 10 frames in this way and thought Id try rendering a video back out of photoshop to test it.
but the option to select the frames was greyed all, just select all frames available.
I also couldnt see any option to export an animation codec w RGB Alpha.

Ive yet to find a good tutorial on how to do this type of frame by frame retouching in photoshop.

Is this a crazy method to use? I have sveral 3-7s clips to do and 10 frames took me about an hour! I imagine I'll speed up but still this is looking a bit disproportionally time consuming!

Ive tried the rotobrush in AE but I think photoshop painting might be an easier route to getting accurate selections.

Any thoughts or anyone familiar w video in Pshop cs6?

Thanks in advance..

Eugene

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Using Photoshop to paint video frames. Best way?
by on Nov 29, 2013 at 8:24:09 pm

[Eugene Constable] "Ive yet to find a good tutorial on how to do this type of frame by frame retouching in photoshop."

There's a good reason for this!

I would definitely stick with After Effects for rotoscoping. Not that I'm any sort of expert, but here's how I would handle it...

Place your clip on a layer in a Comp.
Duplicate that layer.
Apply a blur to the bottom layer.
Draw masks around the hoarding on the top layer, so that the bottom blurred layer shows through the 'holes' created by the masks.
Adjust the mask points frame by frame.
Feather the masks' edges slightly.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Using Photoshop to paint video frames. Best way?
by on Nov 29, 2013 at 8:57:19 pm

I think you can achieve this pretty quickly by using the Roto Brush in After Effects:

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/roto-brush-refine-matte.html

However...don't just jump in and attempt to use it. The Roto Brush is not intuitive - you need to learn the technique, which shouldn't take more than a couple of viewings of the tutorials and help, and a practice run.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Using Photoshop to paint video frames. Best way?
by on Nov 29, 2013 at 9:24:33 pm

What I would do:
track the camera OR use planar tracking in Mocha
create clean or blurred panels to replace the ads in PSD for all that you see in a shot
position them in 3d space to match the background and replace the originals using the 3d camera generated by the track OR replace (corner pin) using track data from Mocha.
roto the skater and comp on top.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Paul GoldenRe: Using Photoshop to paint video frames. Best way?
by on Dec 3, 2013 at 5:45:21 pm

Photoshop is really never a good way to do extensive roto because hand painted frames vary wildly from one frame to the next, especially on geometric shapes like signage. The best results come from the fewest elements and the least number of key frames.

In addition to Mocha, which does an excellent job with the kind of thing (and comes free with After Effects), if you have the new AFter Effects CC, you might check out the the new track mask function which works well for this sort of thing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]