ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Better audio level meter?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim HoyleBetter audio level meter?
by on Nov 29, 2013 at 11:41:47 am

The audio level meter in Adobe After Effects is really bad. The scale is from -24.0 to 0.0 dB which is way too narrow. Audio (very audible audio) below -24 dB is not shown in the meter at all. That is extremely misleading.

How can I either change the scale to something more reasonable (no, the percentage scale doesn't help at all) or is there a totally different audio level meter plugin available?

Do I have to do a feature request on this one? I would imagine all users would want a full scale meter there, not just me.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Better audio level meter?
by on Nov 29, 2013 at 5:18:37 pm

It seems to also have the standard -48 to 12 on the other side. I would advice, don't do audio in AE. At most, I might bring in some audio to make sure I'm hitting the beat or word(kinetic typography), but it's not an audio program, do expect it to have much in the way of audio controls.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jim HoyleRe: Better audio level meter?
by on Nov 29, 2013 at 6:09:59 pm

I agree, very limited audio functionality there. But I need to do very quick checks for the audio, so I need to use the level meter directly in AE.

Perhaps by the other side you mean the volume slider? Yes, it is possible to directly adjust the level for the selected clip. The volume slider is right there next to the level meter. You can choose the scale for the slider in the options. But there seems to be no way to change the level meter scale. Premiere and Audition have nice audio level meters so AE should have the same kind of meter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved