ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Line mask basics attention Steve Roberts

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kirk canadaLine mask basics attention Steve Roberts
by on Nov 28, 2013 at 9:13:31 pm

I am very new to AE and I have cobbled together many different tutorials to get what I need done. Now I’m having trouble with the basics of lines and masking
What I am trying to do is draw a wiring schematic over top of a frame of a product we build.

The effect I am trying to achieve is to have the lines glow and be animated over top the image.

I have the created in photoshop ( generated from 3d Max) and I have the line work done on a separate layer.( non vector)

I’m not sure how to add the effect to the photoshop layer or how to use the layer as a mask.

I understand how to make a AE created line but I am having trouble adding additional lines when drawing overtop the original image on a solid layer.

I have also recreated the line art in illustrator and have tried to import it and copy and paste it with both programs open.

It does show up but as a list of 300 plus masks. How do I group them so that I can add the same affect to all of them at once?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Line mask basics attention Steve Roberts
by on Nov 29, 2013 at 3:58:21 pm

[kirk canada] "I’m not sure how to add the effect to the photoshop layer or how to use the layer as a mask."

Which effect?

[kirk canada] "It does show up but as a list of 300 plus masks. How do I group them so that I can add the same affect to all of them at once?"

You can't group masks. What you can do is set in some effects to use all masks, for example the stroke effect, that I presume is the one you're using.

Return to posts index

kirk canadaRe: Line mask basics attention Steve Roberts
by on Dec 1, 2013 at 8:49:51 pm

Steve
Thanks for the response,
The effect I was trying to get was a animated glow on the lines on the photoshop layer.

I was able to do it by trial and error with a solid layer and then drawing lines on that. Clunky but at least its a step forward.

I see what you mean about applying the effect to all of the layers at once.

Thanks for the tip and the response.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]