ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I remove a Red X on screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean rodrigues
How do I remove a Red X on screen
on Nov 26, 2013 at 9:59:54 pm

I have a red X(I want to remove) that is embedded in a precomp. I have tried to use color key effect to remove the red X, but I get a black X when I sample the red.

The red X is attached to an effect that is on screen. Strange thing is, I can see the effect( the white star sparkles), but the Red X is still on screen. Red X's usually show up when the effect is missing, as far as I know. But, I can see the effect on screen.

Anyone experienced this and know how to get rid of the red X?

Sean

Return to posts index

sean rodrigues
Re: How do I remove a Red X on screen
on Nov 26, 2013 at 10:44:55 pm

I must also add, AE CS6 does not list any missing files when I type missing footage and missing effects in a project search.

This was an old AE file before I opened it up in CS6. The file was done by someone else and I don't have access to the computer it was originally done in.

Sean

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Nov 26, 2013 at 11:23:34 pm

A red X usually indicates a trial version of an application or, in your case, an effect plug-in. The only way around it is to buy the software.

Gary

Return to posts index

sean rodrigues
on Nov 26, 2013 at 11:46:05 pm

Thank you. In cs6, how do I find out what the plug in is if it does not come up when I type " missing effect" in the project search?

Sean

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Nov 27, 2013 at 2:59:58 am

If you can see the effect on the footage then it's not missing. It should be in the list of effects used on that layer.

Gary

Return to posts index

sean rodrigues
on Nov 27, 2013 at 3:03:54 am

Hmmm... there was no Effect on the layer, only an FX. I'll take a screen grab of what I'm seeing tomorrow and show you.

Thanks for all the help, Gary.

Sean

Return to posts index

sean rodrigues
on Nov 27, 2013 at 4:34:13 pm

You called it, Gary. Had to open the Precomp. There is a Particular effect on the solid. I'll have to get the plug-in.

Thanks for all your help,

Sean

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Nov 27, 2013 at 9:41:01 pm

You're welcome. Glad to hear you're back on track.

Gary

Return to posts index

Katy LaFleur
on Jun 8, 2016 at 5:20:39 pm

So I figured out a good work-around, depending on your resolution needs and which plugins you are using.

I made an animated logo video for my business using the amazing Particular plugin by Red Giant. I would love to buy this, but I don't really use After Effects very much and I had a low-res need.

here is my video:
It didn't need to be perfect. So this is what I did for the work-around:

In each use of the effect, I did a color replace for the red X. Now the red lines were transparent (appeared white in my video, because the background is white).

Now I had a huge white X cutting through my animations, almost as bad as the red! The cool thing though is that the line was not really white but transparent.

So I copied the effect and moved it up a few pixels. Now there were 2 white Xs, but both were much less pronounced. I did this a few times, there are 6 or so white Xs throughout the animation but are very light, hardly perceptible.

I doubt if you would be able to use this for cleaner plugins (Particular allows for some messy, cool animations) or for high-res animations. But it worked for me. Please message if you have questions on any of these steps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]