ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Paint Writing on Effect with a Wacom tablet (how do I advance the playhead after I lift the pen up?)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg BorkmanPaint Writing on Effect with a Wacom tablet (how do I advance the playhead after I lift the pen up?)
by on Nov 26, 2013 at 7:35:40 pm

So basically my question is as stated in the subject.

I want to be able to automatically advance the playhead the number of frames it takes to write a letter onto the screen using the paint brush tool, I can't figure out how to do this. What it current does if I write a word out (lifting the pen up for each new letter) is keeping the playhead in the same place for each letter...essentially making the shot look like there are many people each writing a letter on the screen at the same time instead of letter by letter to create a new word.

Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Paint Writing on Effect with a Wacom tablet (how do I advance the playhead after I lift the pen up?)
by on Nov 26, 2013 at 7:46:57 pm

What's the intended shot look like? Can you describe it?

There may be better ways than trying to use the paintbrush for this.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Greg BorkmanRe: Paint Writing on Effect with a Wacom tablet (how do I advance the playhead after I lift the pen up?)
by on Nov 26, 2013 at 7:54:47 pm

So the intended effect is to have the shot look like someone is hand writing on the screen however because the playhead gets reset to the front every time i lift the pen tool the effect looks as though many people are writing one letter a piece.

I need to find a setting somewhere that advances the playhead the number of frames it takes to write each letter instead of having it reset the playhead to the same position each time I lift the pen tool up.

Here's what currently happens (it's an avid DNX36 codec fyi) https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jcr05bosm2t2xw/TEST.mov

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Paint Writing on Effect with a Wacom tablet (how do I advance the playhead after I lift the pen up?)
by on Nov 26, 2013 at 7:58:47 pm

Well, how about animating a mask on a solid and using the Write-On effect? Forget the brush.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Greg BorkmanRe: Paint Writing on Effect with a Wacom tablet (how do I advance the playhead after I lift the pen up?)
by on Nov 26, 2013 at 8:19:31 pm

This might be the best solution, I was really hoping to find a way to advance the playhead automatically when I lift the pen tool up but if that doesn't exist I guess this will have to do.

Return to posts index

Paul EmousRe: Paint Writing on Effect with a Wacom tablet (how do I advance the playhead after I lift the pen up?)
by on Nov 26, 2013 at 7:59:15 pm

Check out this tutorial:

Return to posts index

by on Nov 26, 2013 at 8:17:41 pm

This is a great tutorial for text but I want to use actual handwriting that I've written onto the screen with a tablet (for the reason that individuals' handwriting is more unique than a font can be)

Return to posts index

Paul EmousRe: Paint Writing on Effect with a Wacom tablet (how do I advance the playhead after I lift the pen up?)
by on Nov 26, 2013 at 8:28:17 pm

You could change the pressure values of your tablet to very low (or very high). If you are in a Mac go to System Preferences > Wacom Tablet > Customize (Pressure)

Also using a feathered brush or air brush (pressure sensitive enabled) will make it look more smooth.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Paint Writing on Effect with a Wacom tablet (how do I advance the playhead after I lift the pen up?)
by on Nov 26, 2013 at 8:36:16 pm

[Greg Borkman] "I want to be able to automatically advance the playhead the number of frames it takes to write a letter onto the screen using the paint brush tool, I can't figure out how to do this."

After you add a paint stroke, press the U key to reveal keyframes in the timeline panel, then press the K key to jump to the next keyframe. This will position the CTI at the last keyframe of the paint write-on you just completed.

Of course, you can also slide the timing of the paint strokes around in the timeline panel after you write out the letters.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Nov 26, 2013 at 9:04:54 pm

This is exactly what I was looking for, simple and effective, thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]