ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Laptop HD with After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam LewenLaptop HD with After Effects?
by on Nov 23, 2013 at 4:56:37 pm
Last Edited By Adam Lewen on Nov 23, 2013 at 4:57:07 pm

Hi there!
I hope this is the right place to post, I post here because my main work is AE.
I am about to get a PC laptop (won't be my main workstation, but still, I need AE to run nicely)
I am clueless with laptops, and my question is:
In general, is a Hybrid HD (for example 1TB 5400RPM with an SSD of ~24GB) will be better than getting a regular HDD of 7200RPM?

I find these hybrids becoming very popular, but I don't know much about how they behave with AE.

This is the only issue that stops me from getting a laptop, I would appreciate any tips!
Replacing it all with SSD is not an option now (mainly budget)

Return to posts index

Alex GerulaitisRe: Laptop HD with After Effects?
by on Nov 23, 2013 at 7:33:46 pm

I don't have enough data to make sweeping statements yet from a few cases, it seems that hybrid drives are faster / behave better. The exceptions mainly have to do with sustained read/write speeds, e.g. video playback without dropped frames or pausing - this is where 5400rpm are worse than 7200rpm ones, and where SSD caching doesn't help much.

SSD caching does help with nearly anything else, and on a balance of things, they should be faster for AE purposes than non-hybrid 7200rpm drives.

Return to posts index

Adam LewenRe: Laptop HD with After Effects?
by on Nov 23, 2013 at 10:09:08 pm

Thanks for replying!
This is what I'm reading as well. And my hunch is, if I'm not relaying on this laptop as my main workstation, might go with that hybrid.
If anyone else who have experienced a 5400 hybrid PC laptop HD has anything to tell... I would appreciate any input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved