ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Ae logo puzzle animation...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mario toni belamaricAe logo puzzle animation...
by on Nov 23, 2013 at 9:35:38 am

Hi there!
My client ordered graphical opener. It should look like this: Puzzle pieces come together from all over the place into one solid puzzle wall BUT with their logo on it! So basically logo parts should be visible on puzzle pieces as they come together. I am not doing it with any of shatter plugins and stuff so it's completely custom animated. I have no problem with the "wall" but I have no idea how to make the logo shattered over a 7-8 puzzle pieces which at the end come together and make logo complete also. When they all come together at the end, logo should have puzzle perforations visible, like it was printed on the puzzle wall - like its parts were spread over a 6-7 pieces who, when come together, make logo complete.

Please help and thanks!!!!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Ae logo puzzle animation...
by on Nov 24, 2013 at 12:11:08 am

Why aren't you using the Shatter effect for this?

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Brendon MurphyRe: Ae logo puzzle animation...
by on Nov 24, 2013 at 8:42:30 pm

I agree, the shatter effect is a very simple way to do this.

A more difficult option is to create perfectly fitting puzzle pieces on different layers (preferably white pieces exported with black BG), bring them into AE, and use each one as a track matte for duplicate logo layers. Precompose each logo layer with its matte. Make each precomp 3D, and then manually animate the precomps to simulate a reverse-shatter effect. Add a "bevel alpha" filter to each precomp. Tweak so that the filter accurately simulates the rounded the edges of each puzzle piece. And then you may want to create an expression that makes the bevel angle follow the desired light direction as the piece animates.

In other words, the shatter effect may save you hours of time, depending on your needs!

Brendon Murphy

Return to posts index

mario toni belamaricRe: Ae logo puzzle animation...
by on Nov 25, 2013 at 11:49:41 am

Thanks guys for your answers. Actually, what I did was I designed the whole thing in Photoshop (with inner shadows, bevel...), imported it in AE and animated it (all 25 layers or so) exactly as I intended. Shatter effect is too limiting for what I'm trying to achieve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved