ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Importing PSD back into After Effects, not staying at original dimensions?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ivan pk
Importing PSD back into After Effects, not staying at original dimensions?
on Nov 23, 2013 at 1:03:58 am

Hi,

I had a tried and true process that I'd do to render a still from after effects as a PSD, edit it in photoshop, then re-import it into After Effects and it would be perfectly aligned with the frame I'd been working on. I used the shortcut opt-cmd-s to generate the freeze-frame PSD.

Now when I import the PSD back into after effects, it's much smaller then the source file and is about 50% the size and in the middle of the window. Resizing the document to fill the window is a pain and not always as accurate.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a simple fix to have the PSD fill the screen again?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: Importing PSD back into After Effects, not staying at original dimensions?
on Nov 24, 2013 at 7:31:37 pm

My guess is that you had the resolution of the comp set to less than 100% when you exported the frame. Still frames, unlike video, are exported at the resolution set in the comp. BTW, you can export a layered PSD file from AE, just go to Composition>Save frame as>Photoshop Layers. Some things won't translate to Photoshop but reasonably simple comps will usually come through OK.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 28, 2013 at 5:56:41 am

Be sure to submit a bug report if something is working incorrectly:
http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

sean lloyd
on Mar 27, 2014 at 6:16:10 am

Hi,

Don't know if this will get monitored or not, but I am having the same problem and I tried what was suggested here and it didn't work for me. So I figured, oh well and just tried to resize it, but the resolution is not the same and so the still seems very blurry, compared with the original footage. I used PNG to try to maintain the same quality, but it didn't work. I have had this problem before and found a work-around, but it is an important function for what I have been working on lately, so if someone has any idea, I would be very grateful, as I have searched around a fair amount and can't seem to find anything. Thanks...

Return to posts index

sean lloyd
on Mar 27, 2014 at 6:33:20 am

For anyone else who may encounter this... It's a stupidly simple fix. It appears that the default setting on the OUTPUT MODULE SETTING are set at 480x720, so I just hit resize to change it to my Comp Setting, (which for me was 1920x1080) and it worked fine. Don't know why it doesn't follow the comp size, but...

PS I am on CS6

Cheers...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]