ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

after effects CC won't import .obj files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Marzolphafter effects CC won't import .obj files
by on Nov 22, 2013 at 9:38:46 pm

can someone tell me why after effects CC won't import .obj files? i'm collaborating with someone and he's using plugins like Plexus and Form which work natively with .obj files and they need to be brought into the software to be used. i have done this many times in CS6 but when i open his AE files in CC all .obj file come in as missing (even though they aren't) and when i try to replace footage or re-import them it doesn't allow it throwing out some error messages.

just to be sure, i opened the files in an old install of AE cs6 and they imported fine, and i was able to bring them into Trapcode Form without any issue or errors. they clearly aren't damaged files CC just doesn't seem to want to recognize them. i can't be the only one to have this issue, these are commonly used plugins. can anyone help?

Ryan Marzolph
Visual Effects Supervisor
Dreamscape Cinema

Return to posts index

Ryan MarzolphRe: after effects CC won't import .obj files
by on Nov 22, 2013 at 9:52:28 pm

whoops, sorry to waste your time, i found the answer over on the red giant page in the user comments for trapcode form 2. i'll repost here with explanation so this will hopefully help someone else with this problem:

"for those of you having problems importing .obj files into After Effects CS6 I found a solution that worked for me. (Using Windows 7) My Trapcode form installer did not install the "TrapcodeOBJ.plugin" . Noticing that AE5.5 users were having luck I reinstalled Trapcode and added the CS5.5 software along with CS6. I found the plugin located in C:/program files/adobe/Adobe After Effects CS5.5/Support Files/Plug-ins/Format/Trapcode/. I copied the trapcode file into the corresponding CS6 directory and now I can import .obj files. Although still no animation preset. Maybe I'll install the CS5 trapcode software and try that next? goodluck."

in a nutshell, when i installed CC i mostly migrated my plugins over by copying them from the CS6 plugin folder to the CC. i checked them each as i did so making sure they worked and form did indeed work. what i didn't realize is there's a folder in the plugins folder called trapcode with a single file in it called TrapcodeOBJ.plugin. without this form runs just fine but this file allows after effects (which doesn't natively accept .obj files) to import them for use in its plugins.

now that this is in the plugin directory i can open the files without any errors or missing info.

Ryan Marzolph
Visual Effects Supervisor
Dreamscape Cinema

Return to posts index

Pascal GreuterRe: after effects CC won't import .obj files
by on Jan 30, 2014 at 10:57:04 pm

Hi Ryan
I just ran into the exact same problem. Thank you for your clear instructions. You just helped me saving a lot of time figuring out this by myself. Thumbs up.

Return to posts index

Tony FelixRe: after effects CC won't import .obj files
by on Nov 13, 2015 at 3:56:43 pm

Nothing works out..Same problem continues..Somebody please help.
I have tried and tired by all methods

Return to posts index

Russell O'BrienRe: after effects CC won't import .obj files
by on Sep 25, 2014 at 5:53:49 pm

Yes thanks for this. I had been bashing my head against the desk on this one!

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved