ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Any way of splitting a pre-comp into even squares?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stefan MyskowAny way of splitting a pre-comp into even squares?
by on Nov 21, 2013 at 2:30:27 am

Hi there,

I'm looking for a way to precisely split a pre-composition of an image into many even squares inside of After Effects.

For example, I have a pre-composition as a placeholder for any image that is inside it. I'm looking to split the pre-composition into many even squares so that I can animate them individually and have the image come together in the end. The image inside the pre-comp can be switched easily and quickly.

I've done a fair amount of research into how one would achieve this but I have not yet come to any simple conclusion. Perhaps it's not so simple.

If anyone has any ideas on how I might achieve this I would greatly appreciate it and would love to hear your explanation!

I'm aware of this AE script: http://aescripts.com/3d-splitter/

However, I'm honestly more interested in the practical side of how one would go about this without the use of a script or plugin.

Thank you for your time!

Stefan

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Any way of splitting a pre-comp into even squares?
by on Nov 21, 2013 at 2:44:37 pm

[Stefan Myskow] "However, I'm honestly more interested in the practical side of how one would go about this without the use of a script or plugin."

Personally, I'd use the script. Tiling a precomp is grunt work, and this is exactly the sort of problem that scripting is meant to solve. If you're worried about portability, you should know that once you've run the script and it has done its work, you no longer require access to the script.

That said, depending on what you need, you might be able to use the built-in Card Dance effect.

Otherwise, there are a few approaches. You could tile your precomp by nesting it in a set of smaller comps, re-positioning it within those comps, and then assembling the tile precomps in your main comp. You could duplicate the precomp layer, once for each tile, and use a series of masks. You could also duplicate the precomp, once for each tile, and use a series of solids as alpha mattes.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]