ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CC on Macbook Pro Retina

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian CooneyAE CC on Macbook Pro Retina
by on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:49:46 pm
Last Edited By Brian Cooney on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:50:10 pm

I was looking into purchasing a new Macbook Pro for the road but then discovered the RAM is hardwired to the board and only allows 16GB max. Wondering if I should just buy a previous model and be able to put 32GB of RAM in the machine. Anyone using AE with the new Macbook Pros? Any recommendations as to how AE will work on the new MacBook Pros? Is there CUDA and open GL support on the new machines? Thanks.

Telly Award Winning Editor, Motion Gfx Artist, Colorist
MotionFoundry, Inc. Post: Verizon, GM, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, L'Oreal, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE CC on Macbook Pro Retina
by on Nov 19, 2013 at 7:51:45 pm

I'd think that 16GB would be plenty of RAM for a mobile computer that you're not using for heavy final renders, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Brian CooneyRe: AE CC on Macbook Pro Retina
by on Nov 19, 2013 at 7:52:51 pm

thanks Todd

MotionFoundry, Inc. Post: Verizon, GM, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, L'Oreal, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: AE CC on Macbook Pro Retina
by on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:03:49 pm

While CUDA is supported on GT 650M in the Macbook Pro Retina, it just meets the minimum requirements for the Ray-traced 3D Renderer.

After Effects sometimes complains that it cannot use the GPU for Ray-tracing. This appears to occur when other applications have used some of the GPU's memory – quitting those apps (even a browser) and relaunching After Effects solves the problem for me.

I've read that since the last update in AE CC that this still an issue.

Other than that, as a mobile machine the MBPr is great.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:15:13 pm

thanks! just saw this.. :-)

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE CC on Macbook Pro Retina
by on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:15:29 pm

> While CUDA is supported on GT 650M in the Macbook Pro Retina, it just meets the minimum requirements for the Ray-traced 3D Renderer.

After Effects sometimes complains that it cannot use the GPU for Ray-tracing. This appears to occur when other applications have used some of the GPU's memory – quitting those apps (even a browser) and relaunching After Effects solves the problem for me.

I've read that since the last update in AE CC that this still an issue.

We've got a new version of the OptiX library from Nvidia and some other changes on our end that will make this a lot better. We're hoping to have a new After Effects CC (12.2) update out next month with these improvements, as well as a new After Effects CS6 (11.0.4) update with the same improvements.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: AE CC on Macbook Pro Retina
by on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:44:40 pm

[Todd Kopriva] " We're hoping to have a new After Effects CC (12.2) update out next month with these improvements, as well as a new After Effects CS6 (11.0.4) update with the same improvements."

That's great news Todd. Thanks for supporting the older software.

Return to posts index

Alex GerulaitisRe: AE CC on Macbook Pro Retina
by on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:06:07 pm

[Brian Cooney] "Is there CUDA and open GL support on the new machines?"

Only the top-shelf 15" $2.6K model seems to have the discrete graphics chip (GT-750). The rest - Intel Iris (Pro) graphics, which is unlikely to do hardware GPU acceleration despite its hardware OpenCL support: too weak.

Very fast SSDs employed in these will probably help keep the system responsive even when you hit the memory ceiling, so I agree with Todd, 16GB should work, and is a better choice than 32GB on older models.

The new Mavericks memory compression may help too - wonder if anyone has any real world results.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:12:41 pm

thanks.. so CUDA and Mercury playback engine should be just fine?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:21:27 pm

[Brian Cooney] "so CUDA and Mercury playback engine should be just fine?"

Yes, lot of people are using GT-750 with good results in AE in Pr.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:36:26 pm

cool... now I've got to see how to get Mountain Lion on a new one.. I don't think Video Copilot, Magic Bullet Trapcode and looks are ready yet.. no?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:46:49 pm

thanks for all the good feedback guys!

Return to posts index

by on Dec 10, 2013 at 5:55:11 am
Last Edited By Alex Gerulaitis on Dec 10, 2013 at 6:09:59 am

[Alex Gerulaitis] "The rest - Intel Iris (Pro) graphics, which is unlikely to do hardware GPU acceleration despite its hardware OpenCL support: too weak."

Boy was I wrong. But then I did have a hunch about it...

Not sure yet how it'll stack up against 750m but Intel Iris graphics will have some nice GPU acceleration benefits.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 10, 2013 at 1:55:29 pm

cool. well I only be using the machine for limited travel experience so maybe it will get me by for basic editing and some light to moderate motion gfx. Went to Cannes this past summer and lugged a 2012 iMac in a road case and it arrived 4 days after I did. got stuck in Dublin. go figure. Wanted to avoid that again ha. thanks for the info!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]