ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CC Light Sweep on 3d Extruded Shape layer?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen PickeringCC Light Sweep on 3d Extruded Shape layer?
by on Nov 19, 2013 at 3:50:20 am

Is it possible (or is there an alternative) to give a 3D Extruded Shape layer a light sweep?

Thanks,

Stephen

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: CC Light Sweep on 3d Extruded Shape layer?
by on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:26:57 pm

If you have only one object in your scene you could the light sweep to an adjustment layer. Like so: 6811_lightsweep.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CC Light Sweep on 3d Extruded Shape layer?
by on Nov 19, 2013 at 2:13:12 pm

[Stephen Pickering] "Is it possible (or is there an alternative) to give a 3D Extruded Shape layer a light sweep? "

John's given you one option, and I'll give you another. You could actually sweep the object with a light.

The ray-tracer supports adjustment light layers, just like the Classic 3D renderer does. By turning on the adjustment layer switch for a light, you tell it to only light objects below it in the timeline stack, so by moving your extruded shape layer and its sweep light to the bottom of the stack and making the sweep light an adjustment light layer, you can prevent the light from illuminating other objects in the scene.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: CC Light Sweep on 3d Extruded Shape layer?
by on Nov 19, 2013 at 3:04:25 pm

Oooh, I like Walter's method better, do that one.

***I always forget about the adjustment layer trick for lights, thanks for the reminder.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Stephen PickeringRe: CC Light Sweep on 3d Extruded Shape layer?
by on Nov 20, 2013 at 12:35:20 am

Huh, I've never used lights as adjustment layers. When you say "sweep light" are you simply meaning a light that I add motion to, making it sweep?

I really like the CC effect because it adds a shine on the edge too, but maybe that's where I just need to play around with a beveled edge. I am also having a hard time getting a streak with the light, rather I keep getting hot "spots" of light, not the sharp lines... If this is the best option I guess I'll start learning 3D lighting better as it sounds like it can do a lot. I was hoping for a trick to use the filter as it does exactly what I want (and is easily controllable). BTW, the 3D shape is also rotated so I can't just add a 2D layer with a mask either.

Thank you for your suggestions!
-Stephen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]