ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Scene Lighting - Moonlight

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared SnyderScene Lighting - Moonlight
by on Nov 18, 2013 at 4:53:53 pm

I am putting together a scene in AE CS6 using Elements 3D and the Metropolitan pack from Video Copilot. The scene is a nighttime scene with a blue hue to it. I'd like to light the scene as if from moonlight being diffused through clouds and was wondering the best way to go about that.

I've included a snapshot of the scene. Presently, I have an ambient light which is set to the same color as the lit windows and is currently at an intensity of 10%. This light is mimicking the light pollution being created from the artificial lights of the various buildings.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Scene Lighting - Moonlight
by on Nov 18, 2013 at 7:38:41 pm

i'd start by setting the ambient light color to a blue from the background image that you are trying to mimic.

to simulate the moonlight i'd try a parallel light source, low intensity, maybe white or light blue.

alternately, you could try color adjustment effect... color balance would allow you to adjust the shadow and midtone values separate from the highlights, allowing you to shift the darker values to blue. this method may work better if you have the 3d city as a nested comp with the city background as a separate layer.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved