ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What the heck is a "floating" licence?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregory Cowell
What the heck is a "floating" licence?
on Nov 17, 2013 at 6:47:48 am

I suppose it'd be fair to say that if I have to ask this question, I really shouldn't be buying this software.... but forging ahead nevertheless....

I was interested in buying the 3D Camera Tracker from The Foundry. I have After Effects CS5, and I'm told it will work fine in it. So, I go to The Foundry and check out the options and decide to go ahead and buy it.

When I get to the "Buy" options page, I see there's several of them. I'm presented with the choice of a "node-locked", "Floating", or "render" licence. Being an ignoramus, I have absolutely no idea what this means! All I want to do is buy a piece of software and plug it into After Effects, and be on my way...

Can anyone clue me in, please? Thank you.

Greg.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
Re: What the heck is a "floating" licence?
on Nov 17, 2013 at 9:28:57 am

Node-locked means it onlyregisters for one computer. Floating means you can register in or out on different computers, much like Adobe CC.

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Gregory Cowell
on Nov 17, 2013 at 11:24:30 am

Ah. So node locked is the way to go for an amateur who's only using one computer and a few applications, to do video.

Thanks, Morten.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 17, 2013 at 5:29:05 pm

I'm curious about why you'd be buying the Camera Tracker plug-in rather than upgrading to After Effects CS6 for less money and using the 3D Camera Tracker built into After Effects CS6.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 17, 2013 at 5:46:01 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "I'm curious about why you'd be buying the Camera Tracker plug-in rather than upgrading to After Effects CS6 for less money and using the 3D Camera Tracker built into After Effects CS6."

The Foundry's Camera Tracker is better :) Whether it's worth the price or not is another question.

If performing camera tracks is something that you'll be doing a lot, you need flexibility for improving solves and you have the money to buy it then even with CS6 or CC I'd recommend The Foundry's plug-in.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 17, 2013 at 5:47:49 pm

One not so subtle distinction from CC in the case of The Foundry: you need to have a machine dedicated as the license server. That machine needs to be accessible via network from any computer that will need a license. If you don't have someone to manage a license server then that can quickly become a PITA.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Nov 17, 2013 at 6:33:06 pm

License server is only necessary for floating license, but could reside on any machine on the network.

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Francis Battaglia
on Jul 3, 2014 at 5:10:16 am

Is there an option with node-locked to decommission one machine for use on another newer (if buying a newer machine, etc)?

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Jul 3, 2014 at 7:29:24 am

Nodelocked uses a software key that is locked to a certain machine ( reads its hardware serial number) and can only be changed by contacting the vendor

Adobe CC, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]