ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problems using Keylight on RAW footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick DixonProblems using Keylight on RAW footage
by on Nov 16, 2013 at 2:29:13 am

Hey all, I've been keying for a long, long time but I've never run into this. I applied keylight to an EXR sequence (still 32 bit float so we shouldn't have lost any color info or anything) of a scene shot on the RED EPIC and it keyed way more out than I was expecting. Even when I do a lot of tweaking clipping blacks and whites in the effect settings, the results aren't much better. There's a little bit of green spill in this but nowhere near enough to get results like this. Does anybody have any idea why this is happening? Should I be working in a different color space or something? Or does the footage need to be interpreted in a way other than its default? Thanks in advance for the help!

Return to posts index

Nick DixonRe: Problems using Keylight on RAW footage
by on Nov 16, 2013 at 3:43:11 am

For the record, I was also planning on doing some roto work on the earphones. I was expecting that to key out a little bit. But the transparency that pops up just about everywhere else surprised me a bit. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Conrad OlsonRe: Problems using Keylight on RAW footage
by on Nov 16, 2013 at 9:43:12 pm

Based on the exposure of the greenscreen and the colours in the plate I'm not the least bit surprised that that is the result you are getting from Keylight.

You are going to need to do some garbage roto around the window.

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Problems using Keylight on RAW footage
by on Nov 16, 2013 at 9:07:52 pm

Looks like the jacket in the foreground is a very beige green. It has more green than red or blue. That's a problem for color difference keyers like keylight.

You may be able to improve the key by adjusting the Screen Balance and Alpha Bias. Alternatively you could use a Channel Mixer effect (not 32bpc unfortunately, big oversight if you ask me) to subtract some green from the foreground.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Nick DixonRe: Problems using Keylight on RAW footage
by on Nov 17, 2013 at 1:13:23 am

Awesome, both these suggestions helped a lot. I guess just based off a glance I thought this would be an easy key. I've managed to get good results now but just had to work more for them than I originally thought I would. Thanks for the responses!

Return to posts index

Conrad OlsonRe: Problems using Keylight on RAW footage
by on Nov 17, 2013 at 1:15:43 am

Pulling the key is only ever the start.

Be sure to slap some gratuitous lens flare in there with the flashes :)

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Problems using Keylight on RAW footage
by on Nov 17, 2013 at 7:20:42 pm

I tend to get the same with some of my footage even if all is properly lit. I found the using the Intermediate Result output from Keylight with AE's own Spill Suppressor does wonders.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]