ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to change the scale over the screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marat NarimanovHow to change the scale over the screen
by on Nov 13, 2013 at 6:25:11 pm

What I want to do is: let's say, we have a video of 10 or 20 vehicles moving from left to right. And there is no background - it's transparent or white or whatever. At the very left part of the screen I want every object to be 100% of it's scale and at the right end, I want it to be just 10% of the original size. So every object that will move from left to right will get smaller and smaller as soon as it moves.
Is it possible to make such a thing in AE? And how do I make it?

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: How to change the scale over the screen
by on Nov 13, 2013 at 7:07:45 pm

One method would be to link the scale of each car layer to an expression control and keyframe the value from 100 to 10.

Here is an example:

6791_scalecontrolnull.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: How to change the scale over the screen
by on Nov 13, 2013 at 7:09:54 pm

This should be extremely easy with only two keyframes for scale. You can then copy-paste these two keyframes onto the other layers. It's also easy enough to tweak each set of keyframes for each layer to achieve some variation.

If you want an Expression driven solution then use the following script in the Scale property -

LayerWidth = thisLayer.width;
Width =thisComp.width;
PosStart = -(LayerWidth/2);
PosEnd = (Width+LayerWidth);
StartScale = [0,0];
EndScale = [100,100];
linear(position[0],PosStart,PosEnd,EndScale,StartScale)

It's not perfect but it should work. All you need to do is to change the StartScale and EndScale values to suit your needs.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Marat NarimanovRe: How to change the scale over the screen
by on Nov 14, 2013 at 2:54:58 pm

Thanks for the reply. It should work for multiple objects, each of which is on it's layer, but i have a totally different situation - all those vehicles are on one layer and more then that - they can overlap sometimes... So i need a method to change the scale for the whole video, and to change not actually over time (it's easy), but to change it over the screen area - all objects on the left part should be 100%, and as soon as they move on to the right side of the screen, they should change their scale down to 10%.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: How to change the scale over the screen
by on Nov 13, 2013 at 8:58:55 pm

[Marat Narimanov] " let's say, we have a video of 10 or 20 vehicles moving from left to right. "

If this is one video of twenty vehicles, you'll need to stabilize, roto, and re-apply the original motion for each vehicle before pursuing the solutions offered above.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Marat NarimanovRe: How to change the scale over the screen
by on Nov 14, 2013 at 8:53:12 am

Yes, the greatest problem is that there is only 1 layer that contains all objects. Actually, i gave those vehicles just as an example. There can be people instead of the vehicles, or people+vehicles or any other object. And, only ONE layer that contains them all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]