ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering a .FLV of better quality?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cat Marshall
Rendering a .FLV of better quality?
on Nov 11, 2013 at 8:39:21 pm

Hello all!

Lately I've been importing alot of footage into AE CS5 for simple editing and some text on screen and then rendering them out as .flv files. It doesn't seem to like parts with alot of small movement and detail. Fine, I get that that's the price of compression, but the part that bothers me the most is how it makes the text look all crappy.

Is there anything I can do to make it this any better or is this just the curse of Flash?
(I've already tried rendering it through Media Encoder, rendering out a hi-rez .mov and converting it to .flv, and dropping down the saturation levels, losing the dropshadow, chnaging the text to just black and white, even rendering the whole thing in black and white- all with the same results.)

Thanks all for any advice!

Here's an example of what I'm talking about and my render settings:
Hi Rez version:

How it ends up as .FLV

Render settings:

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Rendering a .FLV of better quality?
on Nov 12, 2013 at 2:30:06 pm

Are you locked into FLV as a deliverable? We only use them for our preview site, and even for clients who are going to put videos on the web, they usually want H.264.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Cat Marshall
on Nov 12, 2013 at 4:08:36 pm

Yep, they want an FLV. They get put into a Flash interface ultimately, but I'm not involved on that end. I also hand off an H.264 version as well, and that looks fine. Maybe they will be smart and figure out how to use the H.264 but who knows, ya know?

If the picture quality is artifact-y, I can live with that; I'd just like more legible text because the videos are for teaching tools for young readers.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 12, 2013 at 6:24:27 pm

Even if they want Flash video, FLV almost never makes sense. F4V is much, much, much better. F4V is the more modern version that can use a better codec (H.264) instead of old and crusty codec in FLV (On2 VP6).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Cat Marshall
on Nov 12, 2013 at 6:42:27 pm

I'm using an .flv output because that's what the clients want delivered. It's a massive corporate entity and I'm not involved with what happens to the videos once I hand them in. I'm sure they have super smart tech people who handle it. Or maybe not, who knows. I also give them an H.264 and I hope that's the one they use for the final product but I just don't know.

I'm just trying to to figure out if it's possible to make the text look sharper in the .flv format, just in case that's the one that goes live. If it's not possible, fine, I'll at least have given them the best quality I could. Ultimately it's their product and if they get the tech wrong and it looks crappy, it won't be my doing.

So, the answer is 'no'?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 12, 2013 at 4:12:15 pm

Why are you using FLV output? There is almost never a good reason to use FLV these days. (Only of you need an alpha channel in a Flash video asset should you use FLV.)

How are these videos being used, exactly? Are they being played directly in Flash Player? Are they being imported into another application?

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]