ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I get more RAM to be used for rendering?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Preston NoahHow do I get more RAM to be used for rendering?
by on Nov 10, 2013 at 7:29:16 pm

Trying to render 10 seconds of footage, only has simple 3D text tracking it it. AE is saying it will take 14 hours and is using anywhere from 3-14% of 12GB of RAM. The very first time I got it to render and it used 51% and only took 19 minutes, but the effects didn't get rendered.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: How do I get more RAM to be used for rendering?
by on Nov 11, 2013 at 3:54:17 am

[Preston Noah] "Trying to render 10 seconds of footage, only has simple 3D text tracking it it. AE is saying it will take 14 hours and is using anywhere from 3-14% of 12GB of RAM. The very first time I got it to render and it used 51% and only took 19 minutes, but the effects didn't get rendered."

Are you using the raytracing renderer instead of the regular renderer?

Check your advanced comp settings (Ctrl+K on a PC, Cmd+K on a Mac, then click the advanced tab). Look at the renderer option. Is it set to Classic 3D or Ray-traced 3D?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Preston NoahRe: How do I get more RAM to be used for rendering?
by on Nov 11, 2013 at 7:12:44 pm

It's on ray traced

Return to posts index

by on Nov 11, 2013 at 7:37:30 pm

[Preston Noah] "It's on ray traced"

Are you actually using features of the ray-tracer? Extruded text/shapes, bendable layers, reflection/refraction, materials, etc.? If not, switch back to classic 3D.

You cannot render effects that process pixels with the ray-tracer. You'd have to precomp these layers and apply the effects in to the precomp layer in a classic 3D comp.

The speed of the ray-tracer depends on its quality setting. Higher quality looks better (less noise, greater accuracy), but takes longer to render. The ray-tracer is significantly accelerated by NVIDIA CUDA-based GPUs.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Preston NoahRe: How do I get more RAM to be used for rendering?
by on Nov 11, 2013 at 8:10:01 pm

I switched it back and when it rendered, it came out with a blurry resolution and really choppy.

Here it is with ray trace on:

With it off:

I'm new to AE so I looked up how to render and the guy said it provided the fastest render time so I turned on Ray Trace.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 11, 2013 at 8:30:12 pm

[Preston Noah] "I switched it back and when it rendered, it came out with a blurry resolution and really choppy."

You're going to have to give us a lot more information about what you're actually doing. Can you post some screenshots of your comp, your comp settings, your render settings, and your output module settings?

AE's default lossless output module generates an intermediate file that is designed for additional post-production use, not direct playback. These files are generally huge, with very high data rates, and very few computers can play them back in real time without stuttering. For more, see this Adobe FAQ [link]: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a media player?

To help you choose a more suitable format for your needs, see the related Adobe FAQ [link]: What is the best format for rendering and exporting from After Effects?'>Adobe FAQ [link]: What is the best format for rendering and exporting from After Effects?

[Preston Noah] "I'm new to AE so I looked up how to render and the guy said it provided the fastest render time so I turned on Ray Trace."

Ray-tracing is faster than classic 3D? That's crazy talk. Where did you read that?

If you're new to After Effects, I'd recommend the following link, in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva pulls together some important introductory materials:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

You might like the Video Copilot "Basic Training" series that Todd links to.

AE is both deep and broad, and it can be hard to jump right in without taking a little time to learn fundamental concepts first.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]