ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Depth pass issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fredrik TorsvikDepth pass issue
by on Nov 9, 2013 at 10:37:50 pm

I have been trying to figure out this for a while.

Her is my depth pass:

and her is my render:

Why isnt the render sharp at the bottom of the cubes? Im using c4d with a camera with rear and front blur.

Hope someone have a solution or explanation, I have searched the web and tried to figure it out for two days now..

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Depth pass issue
by on Nov 11, 2013 at 3:52:09 am

[Fredrik Torsvik] "Why isnt the render sharp at the bottom of the cubes? Im using c4d with a camera with rear and front blur."

A depth pass shows the distance from the camera for the geometry at each pixel in the raster.

What you are generated is really a blur or DoF matte. Here, what's supposed to be in focus is black (no blur applied), and what's supposed to be the most blurry is white (blur applied), with degrees of blur in shades of gray. The brightness does not indicate the depth from the camera.

If you want to generate a true depth map for use with Frischluft, you should set the focus distance in C4D past the last object. This will render black in the depth pass. Enable the camera's front blur, and position the front blur end before the first object. This will render white.

Do not enable back blur; you only need that if you want to generate a focus or DoF matte. Frischluft will take care of this for you, so you don't need to bake those settings into the pass in C4D.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved