Stereoscopic workflow - image sequences comped in AE and cut in Premiere
I have a little bit of a technically challenging project and am looking for the best edit workflow, and any help or suggestions would be appreciated! It is a music video that was shot stereoscopically using two DSLRs, each shooting JPEG sequences - so each shot/take is composed of two image sequences that I've denoted L and R (left and right).
But just to clarify, this is not a 3D project, analglyphic or otherwise. I am using the L and R camera streams to create stereoscopic animations. Using two simulatneously captured frames, and quicly editing between the two to create a 3D-like effect. (Google image search "stereoscopic animated gif" for example of technique).
The images have all been shot at medium quality jpeg (4608 x 3072), and I want to have the flexibility to crop in to create close-ups, so exporting low-res proxies is not preferable at this stage.
The additional technical challenge is that I also want to use this effect with lip sync - so a frame-by-frame reading of my timeline would be:
- L camera, frame 1, 2 frame duration
- R camera, frame 2, 2 frame duration
- L camera, frame 3, 2 frame duration
- alternating, and so on
But in the edit I want to have the flexibility to choose to just use just the L camera stream, flick between L and R with 1 frame duration, or flick between single frames from L and R. Basically, complete flexibility over how L and R interact.
My current workflow is this:
- import each image sequence in AE
- create a full frame composition (4608 x 3072) and sync up both L and R image sequences, create a full "shot"
- within these comps, I'm able to use key frames (and hopefully with your suggestions, expressions) to animate and create my stereoscopic effect
- import each AE comp "shot" into premiere, which I assume automatically creates a dynamic link back to my AE project
- I will then edit these comps in a standard 1080p 25fps project.
My current issue is that my render times in Premiere are pretty ridiculous, and I want to know if anyone can suggest a better workflow, or make my workflow more efficient with quicker preview renders.
I hope I've explained my project and it's technical challenges clearly!
Oh, I'm also running on a macbook pro (2.7 GHz Intel Core i7) with 16 GB ram. I also normally edit with Final Cut, and am much better with it, but thought Prem may be the way to go because it links to AE.
Thanks in advanced for all your help!
PS. And although I'm posting in the AE section, I'm open to other workflows (especially a Final Cut one)