ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Any way to select custom time span by default?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy Brunger
Any way to select custom time span by default?
on Nov 6, 2013 at 8:01:49 pm

Hi all,

Quick one this - is there any way to set render settings template so it defaults to custom time span rather than work area or length of comp?

I'm outputting dozens (hundreds probably) of sections of comps as in/loop/out states using markers along the comp, setting work area then render that selection...I currently have to hit 'set to custom' every time, but would speed things up massively if that was default.

Wouldn't be a problem, but there's several 'sections' of the same comp going into the render queue at a time, so if I don't check custom then the latest work area set will be applied to everything in the queue...if that makes sense!

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

-------------------------------
Adobe CC
MacPro 3,1 8-core 3.2GHz / 32GB RAM / NVidia Quadro 4000 / OSX 10.8.5
Decklink Extreme+ 3D / 3TB RAID-0 local / 6TB XServe + United Digital RAID on 10GbE

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Any way to select custom time span by default?
on Nov 6, 2013 at 8:13:43 pm

1) Go here:
http://www.crgreen.com/aescripts/

2) Download Queue_Comp_Sections.jsx

3) Create some guide layers in your comps instead of using the markers. Name them what you want the exported file name to be, and set their ins and outs where you want them to begin and end.

4) Select the guide layers, then run the Queue_Comp_Sections you downloaded above.

5) Go back to Chris's site, click the Donate button, and send some money Chris's way to compensate him for sharing his scripts and saving you so much time.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 6, 2013 at 8:33:26 pm

> 5) Go back to Chris's site, click the Donate button, and send some money Chris's way to compensate him for sharing his scripts and saving you so much time.

Yes, that.

I just did it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Nov 6, 2013 at 8:55:02 pm

Thanks Walter, although I think it might be a bit late for that approach now...All my 20+ comps are derivatives of the original master, so all markers same in each and each clip will have a unique name. Think this approach might take as long or longer on this occasion.

But will defo bear in mind for next time. Thanks!

Can't believe this 'set custom time' thing isn't a tickbox in AE prefs or something. Each extra 'click' you can avoid with stuff like this soon ad up!

Adobe CC
Decklink Extreme+ 3D / 3TB RAID-0 local / 6TB XServe + United Digital RAID on 10GbE

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 6, 2013 at 9:47:51 pm

> Can't believe this 'set custom time' thing isn't a tickbox in AE prefs or something.

Here's the feature-request form:
http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 6, 2013 at 10:05:09 pm

[Jimmy Brunger] "Think this approach might take as long or longer on this occasion."

If you're really ready for final render, yes, it will probably take more time than it's worth.

If it turns out that there's another round of tweaking, though... with the markers all in the same place, you could at least copy and paste the guide layers. You'd still have to rename them, of course.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Nov 6, 2013 at 10:14:39 pm

Thanks again guys. Will definitely try it for the next one

Adobe CC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]