ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Splitting layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sara IkeSplitting layers
by on Nov 6, 2013 at 5:53:51 pm

Hi! I had to edit a video in FCP7 but want to do my CC/masking in AE. I exported it as a single piece of media and used CMD+SHIFT+D to split each edit apart in AE (yes a tedious task). But now when I apply an effect to a layer it seems to apply it to every layer. I noticed that when I split the layers, the entire video remains on the layer although it is more transparent. How do I get each layer as its own so an effect won't affect each layer? Or how do I get rid of the slightly transparent part of each layer?

Hope this makes sense! Thanks for any help :)

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Splitting layers
by on Nov 6, 2013 at 6:19:32 pm

The only way to apply an effect to every layer is by having every layer selected, so make sure you only one layer selected when you apply your effects. The slightly transparent portion of the layer is only indicating that actual layer is longer than your current in and out points. The transparent part doesn't effect anything.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Sara IkeRe: Splitting layers
by on Nov 6, 2013 at 6:34:36 pm

Okay, thank you. It seems to be working now!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved