ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problem tracking footage for logo removal in Mocha. PLEASE HELP

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tahira Ali
Problem tracking footage for logo removal in Mocha. PLEASE HELP
on Nov 6, 2013 at 8:52:35 am

I'm trying to remove the words "classic" from the Coca Cola box.

The Plan: Use mocha to track the box or something on the same plane, paste that tracking info into AE, freeze a frame with the box and paint over the words using the clone stamp. I would then attach that still of the omitted words to the track I got from Mocha.

Problem: I have selected many different areas of the footage with the x-spline tool and tried tracking but nothing seems to work. I have been reading the imagineer website and watching tutorials all day but nothing I've found seems to help.

Question: Is there an area of the footage or multiple areas that you would suggest I try tracking? Do I need to solve the camera first? Is there a better workflow for what I'm trying to accomplish? Is it even possible to remove the logo using mocha/tracking or should I paint it out instead since the amount of the logo that shows changes?

Thanks so much for your help.

Here's the clip

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Problem tracking footage for logo removal in Mocha.
on Nov 6, 2013 at 11:24:31 pm

Personally, I'd just try using the Clone Stamp frame by frame. It's only a few seconds, so not even 200 frames, I'd say. At a few seconds per frame of painting, you could probably knock this out in one Phish song.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Tahira Ali
on Nov 6, 2013 at 11:29:07 pm

Thanks for responding. I was trying to avoid that method since I have 13 of these shots with varying lengths. Oh well, I guess that might take less time than trying over and over again to get a good track.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 7, 2013 at 6:39:59 am

It'll be good if you showed your tracking splines.

The indenture on the box has resulted in the top of the box having two planes. Thus, ensure that your spline is placed on the plane, within the area that you want to track. There is no co-planar region to track.

Do not forget to observe standard mocha tracking procedures to deal with the occlusion. You may also want to generate an optimized version of the tracking plate so that the contrast is enhanced, to better allow the tracking algorithm to pick out its tracking targets.

Alternative tracking solutions are AE's 2D tracker and 3D camera tracker.

Lastly, Rotobrush is a good solution for the few frames where the insert image is partially occluded.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Tahira Ali
on Nov 12, 2013 at 11:12:46 pm

Thanks for your reply. Here is an image of where I put my splines. Still no luck with the track though. I'll try placing a spline on the top of the box instead.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2dvlvmu.png

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 13, 2013 at 6:55:24 am

It is a rather small area to track - so I envisage issues. Did you create an optimized-for-tracking version? Increasing the video's contrast helps the tracking algorithm. Also, increasing the "% of Pixels Used" property should help.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]