ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to modify a layer propertie without influencing mask properties ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clément MorgeHow to modify a layer propertie without influencing mask properties ?
by on Nov 5, 2013 at 6:34:05 pm

Hi everyone !

Here is my question : I'm actually working on a project on which I have to put reflection of a city on a window being opened. To proceed, I made the reflect image on Photoshop, then I import it in After Effects, and apply it in my composition by adding a mask at the format of the glass of the window. Anyway, everything worked perfectly since the camera make a huge traveling forward. The reflect is moving well because I made the mask following the path of the window, but I made my image too much little in Photoshop... And then I can see the black-color-of-the-background-where-there-no-image-anymore inside my mask. I know how to move the image inside the mask, independantly of the mask, with the anchor point tool. But I don't know how I can change the scale of it without interact with the mask...

I would be very grateful if someone could help me !

Thank you by advance !

Have a nice day,

Clément.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: How to modify a layer propertie without influencing mask properties ?
by on Nov 5, 2013 at 7:18:40 pm

You should use a separate layer to mask the image. Copy your mask to a solid layer and use it as an alpha track matte for your reflection layer.

Then you have separate transform controls for the mask/matte layer and the reflection layer.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Clément MorgeRe: How to modify a layer propertie without influencing mask properties ?
by on Nov 5, 2013 at 11:09:41 pm

Thank you very much ! I'll try it tomorrow, but I guess I've already done a thing in that way and it didn't worked when I pasted the mask from my original layer to another... But anyway, I'll let you know !

Film student in Paris at "Ecole de la Cité" of Luc Besson.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: How to modify a layer propertie without influencing mask properties ?
by on Nov 6, 2013 at 12:41:57 am

Perhaps the layer you pasted to had changes made to the Transform properties.

If your original mask and layer has been created and it does the job of matting/masking the window then leave it as it is - simply use it as a Track Matte for a new and larger layer.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Clément MorgeRe: How to modify a layer propertie without influencing mask properties ?
by on Nov 6, 2013 at 9:07:10 am

I'll try it too. Thank you ! I don't know if it's important, but I forgot to precise that the reflection is made by keying, because the landscape it has to reflect came from a greenscreen that reflects itself in the windows, on the original footage. So it's not only a layer with a mask, but yes, it's almost the same.

Clément Morge - Film student in Paris at "Ecole de la Cité" of Luc Besson.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]