ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Photoshop compatibility issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Britt Warren
Photoshop compatibility issues
on Nov 5, 2013 at 4:48:09 pm

First of all I did search this issue and didn't find what I was looking for. Sorry if a similar thread already exists.

I am working in After Effects CS6 with graphics created in Photoshop CS6. In theory, when I make changes to these files in Photoshop and replace the original file, the changes should reflect in After Effects without having to re-import, yes? I've tried using the "reload footage" option in After Effects and am still not seeing the changes. What am I doing wrong?

FYI: graphics are .psd files imported as editable compositions in after effects.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Photoshop compatibility issues
on Nov 5, 2013 at 6:25:41 pm

Since you're working with the PSDs as a comp, each layer in the PSD is represented as a separate footage item.

Are you changing existing layers, or have you added new ones?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Britt Warren
on Nov 5, 2013 at 7:46:51 pm

I'm changing just one of the existing layers. It is a text layer with a gradient overlay, and I'm simply trying to tweak that overlay, but the changes are not showing up in after effects. I have a significant amount of animation on the layer, so I'd prefer not to start over with that.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 5, 2013 at 11:53:22 pm

[Britt Warren] "I'm changing just one of the existing layers. It is a text layer with a gradient overlay, and I'm simply trying to tweak that overlay, but the changes are not showing up in after effects. I have a significant amount of animation on the layer, so I'd prefer not to start over with that."

Are you running the latest update for Ae CS6 [link] or Ae CS6 11.0.0?

I ask because I wonder if this is a cache problem. As I recall, there were a lot of bug fixes around the cache in 11.0.1 and 11.0.2.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Britt Warren
on Nov 5, 2013 at 8:19:31 pm

I've ended up just editing the gradient on my text directly in After Effects, so my current problem is solved, but any insight into linking photoshop and after effects for future reference would still be appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]