ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Import (Merge) compositions and replace old with the new ones (with the same name)?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don JobsImport (Merge) compositions and replace old with the new ones (with the same name)?
by on Nov 5, 2013 at 1:27:00 pm

Hi,

I am really stuck here. I have 180 3D compositions with 3D motion in one Comp. I need to change this 3D motion of all 180 compositions with after effects project that has same 180 compositions, with same name only different motion, and that "new motions" I need...

So, the only way that I know of, is to import this new (same) project with different motion, and drag all new compositions in same Comp and re-link all 180 Compositions manually hmm... I already did that :) but now I have to do it again, and that's why I need something faster...

I need to "merge" new project and replace all compositions with the same name with new ones...

Any ideas? Thank you all!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Import (Merge) compositions and replace old with the new ones (with the same name)?
by on Nov 5, 2013 at 6:29:51 pm

[Don Jobs] "I am really stuck here. I have 180 3D compositions with 3D motion in one Comp. I need to change this 3D motion of all 180 compositions with after effects project that has same 180 compositions, with same name only different motion, and that "new motions" I need..."

I can't visualize the structure of your project. What properties are keyframed? Are they inside the 3D comps on many layers? Are they only on the 180 precomp layers in the main comp?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Don JobsRe: Import (Merge) compositions and replace old with the new ones (with the same name)?
by on Nov 5, 2013 at 6:56:40 pm

Thanks for your reply.

3D compositions are keyframed (position and rotation).

So, if I have 10 solids (solid01... solid10) or compositions animated in 3D space, is there a chance to have it replaced by same 10 solids from other project with same name (solid01... solid10) and structure but different keys (animation)?

I hope it make sense now... :)

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Import (Merge) compositions and replace old with the new ones (with the same name)?
by on Nov 5, 2013 at 11:50:15 pm

You can't do what you want the way you want to do it. The "same name" thing will not help you the way you want it to.

I'm still struggling to understand exactly. Let's consider for a moment that we have three separate things: the structure of the comp (timeline layout), the footage, and the keyframes. Are you saying that you want to keep the structure of the timeline, but change out both the footage used in the comp and the keyframes applied to them?

If that's the case, I'd consider either brewing a pot of coffee, duplicating the original comp, then alt-dragging the replacement layers in one at a time, or building the workflow around Mike Cardeiro's awesome CompsFromSpreadsheet [link] script.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Don JobsRe: Import (Merge) compositions and replace old with the new ones (with the same name)?
by on Nov 7, 2013 at 7:22:58 pm

Thanks a lot for keeping up with me :)

...I know it's hard to explain, but I did do it manually, only the problem is that maybe I will have to do it again and again, so that's why I am trying to find some automated solution.

I will try to explain it once again but very simple:

AE project: test01.aep
- 1 solid in 1 comp, solid is keyframed (position and rotation)

AE project test02.aep
- everything is same as test01.aep, only different keys in position and rotation of same solid layer

So, I need test02.aep solid keys, on test01.aep solid, because I have 180 solids...

I hope that now you understand my problem. footage is not important because I have my 180 comps or solids, linked to my real footage. So, I need new 180 comps to get in place of old 180 comps...

I think that this is not possible... and thanks for the link!

Return to posts index

by on Nov 8, 2013 at 6:04:11 am

[Don Jobs] "So, I need test02.aep solid keys, on test01.aep solid, because I have 180 solids..."

Got it.

Given two identically-structured comps, here's a method you can use to have a follower comp's layers use the position/scale/rotation of the corresponding layers in the leader comp.

We'll make the layers in Test01 (our follower comp) refer to the layers in Test02 (our leader comp).

In Test01, create a new null object as the first, top-most layer in the the layer stack. Rename it Test02. It is critical that this layer have exactly the same name as the comp that you want to borrow motion from. It's also critical that all your comps are uniquely named.

Looking now at layer 2 (the first solid/precomp layer), alt-click the stopwatch for position and enter the following expression:
comp(thisComp.layer(1).name).layer(index-1).transform.position

Use this for scale:
comp(thisComp.layer(1).name).layer(index-1).transform.scale

And this for rotation:
comp(thisComp.layer(1).name).layer(index-1).transform.rotation

Basically, the expressions above use the name of the first layer of the comp to identify what comp to refer to, then matches each layer in the follower comp (Test01) to its corresponding layer in the leader comp (Test02) by layer number, remaining mindful that by adding a null to one and not to the other, we have to offest these layer indices by one.

You can select and copy all of these properties. Then, select all layers in the follower comp, deselect the first null layer only, and paste.

As you are repeating this process, you can simply create another new null at the top of the stack, rename it to match the name of the comp you want to borrow motion from, then select all the layers except that null and paste.

Hope that helps,

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Nov 8, 2013 at 6:28:42 am

I should add that you have to be very careful about naming your comps and the first null layer. Once your expressions are in place, renaming a comp will break (deactivate) 540 expressions. If you want to reset them en masse after correctly matching the comp name and layer name, try Lloyd Alvarez's very cool ActivateDisabledExpressions script [link].

The reason I propose doing it this way, despite the fact that it makes the expressions a bit fragile, are that they are parametric -- that is, you could easily change which comp they borrow motion from -- and that with the leader comp's name right there in the timeline layer panel, it's somewhat self-documenting where the motion is coming from.

If, however, you wanted to hard-code a specific comp name into an expression (like this:
comp("Comp Name").layer(index).transform.position
then it would automatically update if you renamed the comp. (Note that you wouldn't need the null, and you wouldn't refer to layer(index-1) but rather simply layer(index).)

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:38:07 pm

Dear Walter, thank you so much... this is brilliant... that's A SOLUTION!

Thanks a lot!
Best wishes!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]