ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Changing a custom shape path to a perfect circle

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Goodman
Changing a custom shape path to a perfect circle
on Nov 4, 2013 at 9:45:09 pm

Hi all,

I've created some custom shape layers with the pen tool and want to keyframe their path to turn it into a perfect circle. I feel there has to be a better way than manually moving each point and playing with the bezier handles.

I've tried creating both ellipse shapes and masks and tried to extract their points and paste them in to the shape layer. No dice.

Any simple way to do this?

Thanks,

George

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Changing a custom shape path to a perfect circle
on Nov 4, 2013 at 9:48:40 pm

Do you need to use shape layers? You can do this with a solid by keyframing the mask path. Make a square-pixel solid in a square-pixel comp and make the circle first and keyframe the mask path. Then make the other mask shape you want.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Nov 4, 2013 at 10:08:04 pm

Yes, shape layers are essential. I'm using trim paths, pucker and bloat, and host of other effectors. I also just generally prefer shape layers to solids. I feel I personally tend to have a bit more control without running into oddities when manipulating them.

Maybe there isn't an easy way to do this? Even when I create a circle shape layer, I can't seem to add pen points to it, so that would eliminate working backwards from there, right?

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Nov 4, 2013 at 10:11:55 pm

You know, I suppose I actually could use a solid and work backwards for this. I think it would solve this individual problem, but I'm just curious if there would be another way for future reference.

Thanks

Why RTFM? Someone already answered it in more detail on the web.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 5, 2013 at 2:20:53 am

Parametric Shapes are drawn when you use any of the Quick Mask Tools. To draw path-based shapes, you depress the ALT/Option key as you draw with one of the QMTs.

For specifics on your issue, you already have a path property. You will need to drawn an Ellipse with the appropriate QMT, with the ALT/Option key depressed. Voila! You now have two SHapes within the COntent prop.

Create a keyframe for the custom path and then move the Timeline Indicator to where the Ellipse should come into play. Copy the Path property of the Ellipse shape then select the custom path property and paste. You should now have two keyframes for the custom path with an ellipse path as the second keyframe. Switch off the visibility of the ellipse shape so that you have no redundancies.

It's sort of a long way to get things done but it works and I don't know of a faster way. FWIW, with masks on solids, one could use the Layer Panel to add (via pasting or drawing) additional mask paths to create shape morphs - off course the Mask Target menu had to be set appropriately. This procedures obviously saves a few steps but Shape Layers are Continuously Rasterized and that precludes opening them in a Layer Panel.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Nov 5, 2013 at 3:42:48 pm

Yep, that was just what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]