ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Cool Effect. No idea how it's done.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel RobertsCool Effect. No idea how it's done.
by on Nov 4, 2013 at 4:55:51 am

Hey Folks. Still learning AE after being away from it for 10 years or so. I saw

last week, and loved the effect at 46 seconds with the photos. It's somewhere between a slide, a flip, and a page turn. I can't quite figure it out, and it seems like it would be really time consuming to produce. But it seems like one of those things where some big shortcuts could be made.

How would you recommend going about recreating that effect efficiently? Thanks for all the help.

Return to posts index

Ewan WarburtonRe: Cool Effect. No idea how it's done.
by on Nov 4, 2013 at 2:06:31 pm

Looks like it's the card wipe effect. I think the designer has made 2 flat images of everyone's pictures in photoshop. In the example there are 16 images in x direction and 6 in y direction so assuming he used HD dimensions each little picture would be 120x180 (1920/16 and 1080/6). He would set them all out in photoshop and probably save it to one flat file (jpeg or png). He would then change the images to different people and save that as a flat file too. This will be the background of the layer when it flips over.

Bring both jpegs into after effects. create a comp 1920x1080 and drag both jpegs in. on the top layer add the card wipe effect. Make jpeg02 the background layer and set rows to 6 and columns to 16 and then play with the flip axis and flip direction.

Keyframe the transition completion from 0 to 100%.

There's some great tutorials on the cardwipe effect here:
and here:

Hope i explained myself ok.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Cool Effect. No idea how it's done.
by on Nov 4, 2013 at 2:22:07 pm

This isn't easy to do. At broadcast gems, they have an premade AE projects you can buy and adjust to do this effect, but it's a massive render. CubeWipeFX. The nice thing about that version is that the video/pictures are textured to the sides of each cube.

The Discovery Channel did a similar look a few years ago and Nick at GreyScaleGorrilla broke it down in a two part tutorial for Cinema4D. How to make the the Discovery Channel Rebrand Cube Transition Effect with C...(scroll down the page for part 2). His method wipes on the textures, they aren't mapped to each side of the cube, but if your read the discussion people do come up with some techniques for doing that.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved