ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

New mask on adjustment layer slipping back to footage - won't stay on the adj.layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Austin
New mask on adjustment layer slipping back to footage - won't stay on the adj.layer
on Nov 2, 2013 at 3:55:39 pm

Before I say anything else, thank you to all the folks who take the time to help everyone on these forums. This is my first post.

I'm not a total noob with AE6, but can't get this one. I've searched the forums, watched a half dozen YouTube videos and don't see others having the same issue. When they make an adjustment layer over some footage and grab the Pen Tool to make a mask, as soon as they click in the Layer Window while the adj. layer is selected, the vertex sticks on the adj. layer as you'd expect. However when I click my first vertex with the Pen on a new adjustment layer in the Layer Window, a mask is created a level down on my footage, NOT on the adj. layer. So the selection jumps from the adj. layer down a layer to my footage and the new mask is created there. I can't get a mask to stay on the adjustment layer.

Thanks much in advance.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: New mask on adjustment layer slipping back to footage - won't stay on the adj.layer
on Nov 2, 2013 at 8:27:32 pm

Post screenshots. Or better, a screen capture movie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dave Austin
Re: New mask on adjustment layer slipping back to footage - won't stay on the adj.layer
on Nov 2, 2013 at 10:06:27 pm

Thanks, Todd.

Here's a sequence of the four steps I hope. I uploaded the file and it's in review now.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 3, 2013 at 1:55:23 am

CamStudio is an Open Source screen recording app. Use it to capture your screen activity if you need more concise answers to your issues.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Dave Austin
on Nov 4, 2013 at 1:05:21 pm

In case my previous post from 4am didn't get through which it appears not, here is a repost

Return to posts index

Dave Austin
on Nov 4, 2013 at 1:13:14 pm

After three attempts to upload the video and the web form not happy, apparently, just looping through to prompt for upload and "Post Direct" each time (since Sunday), here is a link to the video:

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave Austin
on Nov 6, 2013 at 11:25:54 am

CamStudio worked fine. Thanks for the tip.

Return to posts index

Dave Austin
on Nov 6, 2013 at 11:26:52 am

"Better yet" done.
Still wondering about the popping down a level instead of staying on the adjustment layer.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 6, 2013 at 1:08:27 pm

The screen recording you provided shows that the active layer in the Layer Panel is the "video" layer AND NOT the Adjustment Layer. You can clearly see the active layer as its name appears in the top left of the Layer Panel.

You should double-click the Adjustment Layer in the Timeline Panel to open the Layer Panel and make it the active in said panel. Alternatively, the drop-menu in the Layer Panel may allow you to select the Adjustment Layer to make it the active layer.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]