ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trapcode Particular - Rotating Emitter Blowing Inward

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Barnett
Trapcode Particular - Rotating Emitter Blowing Inward
on Nov 1, 2013 at 6:56:23 pm

Hi All,
I've got footage of a plane spinning in a 360 degree circle. I need to blow a stream of cloud particles at the nose of the plane, and I figured the best way to achieve this is to spin the particle emitter in a circle while keeping the emitter pointing inward. I've created a null that follows the correct arc (by parenting it to a rotating center null) but when I pickwhip the XYZ position of the emitter to it nothing changes (because, due to the parenting, the position of the circling null isn't technically changing).

Can anybody help me out?
Also, is there a better way to keep the emitter pointed at the plane than to keyframe the rotation?

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: Trapcode Particular - Rotating Emitter Blowing Inward
on Nov 1, 2013 at 10:19:46 pm

You're on the right track, you just need to use a spotlight parented to the null as the emitter. The light's layer name has to start with "Emitter" for particular to use it. The cool thing is that if you use a spotlight the particles will point in the direction of the light and also the spread of the particle stream is controlled by the light's cone angle. You can even control the number of particles per second with the light's intensity, and there's an option under Particle>Set Color to use the color of the light emitter.

Check out this project file:
6729_circlingparticleemitter.zip

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Shaun Barnett
Re: Trapcode Particular - Rotating Emitter Blowing Inward
on Nov 1, 2013 at 11:05:09 pm

Thanks loads! That sounds great. I'll check it out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]