ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exporting a 3D scene/video to a program like Unity.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jarrod Dowalter
Exporting a 3D scene/video to a program like Unity.
on Oct 30, 2013 at 9:24:50 pm

I am very interested in multimedia production (specifically interactive videos) and I was wondering if there was a way to import your entire AE composition with all of its 3D and camera data into a developer program like Unity or Unreal?

If there isn't a way, what would be some good work arounds?

On an unrelated note, what is the best 3D modeling, animation, and effects program to work in with AE in your post workflow (i.e. going back and forth between the two)? Any experience or advice is much appreciative. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
Re: Exporting a 3D scene/video to a program like Unity.
on Oct 30, 2013 at 9:43:43 pm

[Jarrod Dowalter] "On an unrelated note, what is the best 3D modeling, animation, and effects program to work in with AE in your post workflow (i.e. going back and forth between the two)? Any experience or advice is much appreciative. Thanks!"

I can't answer your first question, but After Effects CC is bundled with Cinema 4D one of the top 3D modelling and animation applications, linked by the Cineware plug-in in After Effects. After Effects and C4D have a good working relationship which goes back several versions.

Maya is also good but doesn't offer the same round-trip workflow with After Effects that C4D does.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Exporting a 3D scene/video to a program like Unity.
on Oct 31, 2013 at 8:18:47 pm

[Jarrod Dowalter] "I am very interested in multimedia production (specifically interactive videos) and I was wondering if there was a way to import your entire AE composition with all of its 3D and camera data into a developer program like Unity or Unreal?"

You might consider diving into Ae's scripting system [link] -- you could use it to export almost any data from your project that you'd like.

You might also consider a shortcut. Paul Tuersley has written the brilliant pt_OpenSesame script [link], which translates most elements in a project to human-readable XML. You might be able to use pt_OpenSesame to export XML, then parse that with another tool or with your game development platform directly.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]