ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need an input on animating a 2D animation (with reference)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Lewen
Need an input on animating a 2D animation (with reference)
on Oct 30, 2013 at 4:06:01 pm

Hi!
I need to animate several clips. I attached a ref that gives an idea on one of them.
I have it all in vectors in illustrator.
I thought a little play with pin puppet tool will do the trick, but i jumped to the wrong conclusion ... I need to figure another method of opening these leaves.

Any tips while I test are GREATLY appreciated!

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
Re: Need an input on animating a 2D animation (with reference)
on Oct 30, 2013 at 4:44:53 pm

Since it's all 2d and flat, why not use shape layers? First convert your AI layers to shape layers under the Layer menu - Layer > Create Shapes from Vector Layer - then animate the paths of your shapes exactly like you would with masks. Since you've got the shape in 3 states, I'd make a keyframe on the paths of the 2nd state, then copy them to the paths of the first state like 30 frames ahead in time (after setting keyframes on the first state of course), then do the same with the paths from the 3rd state. If you get some weird warping and rotating going on it's usually because the first vertex points aren't in the same place. Just scrub through the animation and watch where the vertex point is and make sure to set the first vertex as the same from one keyframe to the next.

If you want, I could mock this up for you and you could refine it. I love stuff like this.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Oct 30, 2013 at 5:12:28 pm

Jason! we both wrote at the same time :) thanks for your response!

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Oct 30, 2013 at 5:10:34 pm

Seems like a direction might be a simple mask morph, and setting "first vertex" to better morph between the 2 shapes... i can't hava expressions on the movements though...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]