ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Certain Video Files Won't Play in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jack lykins
Certain Video Files Won't Play in After Effects
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:21:11 pm

Hello,

I can't seem to get a number of .AVI files to play in After Effects CS6. The audio from each file plays fine, but it lists the video as 0x0.

These files won't play in Quicktime, and they seem to be either XVID or DX50. I've been working with them without any problems in Premiere CS6. Why would they play in Premiere but not After Effects?

The files are full movies, being pieced together for a mash-up of sorts. I'm hoping I can solve this issue without having to encode them all using some other codec.

I have Quicktime 7.7.4 Pro, and the only codecs I have installed right now are XVID and DIVX.

Please help!

Thanks.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Re: Certain Video Files Won't Play in After Effects
on Oct 29, 2013 at 11:35:44 pm

What happens if you link the sequence over from Premiere?

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

jack lykins
on Oct 29, 2013 at 11:49:23 pm

I've been copying the timeline from Premiere and pasting it into After Effects with no luck.

Return to posts index

mathew fuller
on Oct 30, 2013 at 2:08:12 am

Use dynamic linking instead.

Or import the prem project into the AE comp

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

jack lykins
on Oct 30, 2013 at 3:14:55 am

Thanks. When I import the Premiere project directly into AE the video is there, but it isn't split up into layers the way it would be if I simply cut and pasted (which is what I need for this particular project).

Regardless, am I missing something that would allow After Effects to handle these files the way Premiere does? I've recently upgraded to CS6, and hadn't experienced this issue in the past.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Oct 30, 2013 at 11:09:44 pm

Not unless those codecs have plugins specifically for AE. Premiere either supports them natively or is seeing those codec library files in a shared directory somewhere. The reason Dynamic Linking works is because then AE uses Premiere's player to decode those files. You can do the reverse as well if AE supports a Codec that Premiere doesn't.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]