ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After effects ram preview and rendering times

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Stewart
After effects ram preview and rendering times
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:09:11 pm

Hi everyone Iv recently started using after effects and love the programs ability and features but I'm experiencing extremely slow render and ram preview times. I had a duel core with 4gb of ram and was advised to upgrade as it was not powerful enough. I decide to take the jump and bought an 8 core amd fx8350 with 32gb or ram and a gtx 760 graphics card. I expected to literally not wait for rendering but it doesn't seem to be a lot better. I have messed around with so many settings and nothing seems to help. I have disabled and activated multi processing, I have adjusted ram per core, I have setup disk cache and nothing seems any different.

I understand that it depends on what files I'm rendering so I put in one 10 second hd video file and this seemed to ram preview great. I then tried to work with something more intense and it got so slow.
I decided to try a template of a slide show called curved light wall and input some pictures and text.
It seemed to take forever to work with te file on the lowest settings.

I left it to ram preview and the file stopped half way through and clicked ram preview again and a white box with no writing appeared and I couldn't do anything with after effects it just froze.

I'm pulling my hair out with this now and just need to get to the bottom of it.

Does anyone have the time to assist in this problem for me? I would love to start using this program but currently it feels it's completely unusable and it cost so much money

Return to posts index

mathew fuller
Re: After effects ram preview and rendering times
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:40:31 pm

These problems are hard to comment on when you can't spend time with the machine.

Try this.

1. Try changing your "Fast Previews" settings (it's the little button that looks like a lightning bolt at the bottom of your comp window) between Open GL and adaptive resolution... see what works best.

2. Keep in mind that AE doesn't work well with h264 video or mp3 files. So if you are working with either, convert them to a different codec like a .wav for audio... for video I work mainly with Apple Pro Res, since I assume you are on a PC and I only use my PC for 3ds programs I'm not really up to date on the best codec for PC video. I am sure someone else can give you a good one. In the meantime, try either jpeg or animation compression on your video for testing. They work well in AE.

Hope that helps.

~ Mat

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

mathew fuller
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:42:22 pm

Final thought.

Make sure you are pressing "0" on the numeric keypad for previews and not the space bar.

My Work:

Return to posts index

Oliver Stewart
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:45:13 pm

Hi thanks for your replays. It seems worse when I use the 0 key than the space bar to be honest but thanks. I understand it can be a bit if a mine field cause there are do many variables. I just don't understand it. Iv started a render off of the same file tonight but iv changed a video and yesterday the ram on the render went up to about 71% and today it's not going above 7%

This program is really starting to bug me
Haha

Return to posts index

mathew fuller
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:48:22 pm

Is your video .h264 or some other compressed format?

My Work:

Return to posts index

Oliver Stewart
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:50:47 pm

The video is .mov

Cheers

Return to posts index

mathew fuller
on Oct 29, 2013 at 11:05:44 pm

.mov means nothing it is just a container.

There are countless codecs for quicktime movies. See link.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3775

When you import into AE with the .mov selected it will tell you the codec at the top of the project window.

My Work:

Return to posts index

Oliver Stewart
on Oct 29, 2013 at 11:18:01 pm

Yes it's a h.264 file. Iv just cancelled that render and set off a single video file and the render is fairly quick. It was using trap code form, particular and shine. It had a lot of effects do you think it's just a very hard file to render? I would love to learn more as I really didn't think this file would take over 4 hours on a pretty quick computer such as this.

Return to posts index

mathew fuller
on Oct 30, 2013 at 2:06:21 am

Depending on what you are doing and how long the clip is form can be very slow. Particular can as well, again depending on the project.

You need to look at Adobe.com there are many tech docs on there for getting an idea of what ur settings should be.

But trust me. Dont use h264 in AE... Its a headache waiting to happen.

My Work:

Return to posts index

Oliver Stewart
on Oct 29, 2013 at 11:24:17 pm

My worry is I'm not using the system to its full potential. It's a very heavy effects file so surely it should be using way more than 6% ram to render I have 31.9gb usable

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 30, 2013 at 9:10:55 am

[Oliver Stewart] "My worry is I'm not using the system to its full potential. It's a very heavy effects file so surely it should be using way more than 6% ram to render I have 31.9gb usable"

What are your memory & multiprocessing settings?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Oliver Stewart
on Oct 30, 2013 at 10:38:12 am

Hi thankyou for the help.

I have set the computer to use 6 cores for after effects and leave 2 for other applications and iv set the computer to leave 8 gb of ram for other apps. I have set the computer to use 3gb of ram per core. I have enabled disk cache.

The computer doesn't lock up it works perfectly and I can go about using the computer for other stuff if I want to. I generally don't I just use after effects but the pinky being I'm not overloading the system. In fact far from it. It doesn't seem to even try and use the system. The cores stay at about 30% when rendering and the ram says at below 7% all the way through even though it's rendering some very heavy graphics

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 30, 2013 at 10:46:17 am

When you render, does the info panel show that it's initializing background processes before rendering begins? If you hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc, then click the Processes tab, how many instances of afterfx.exe do you see while rendering? What RAM & CPU usage do they show?

What effects are you using?

In your comp's Composition Settings (Ctrl+K) > Advanced, what renderer is selected?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Oliver Stewart
on Oct 30, 2013 at 11:39:30 am

Thankyou I will check all of this and get back to you ASAP

Return to posts index

Oliver Stewart
on Oct 30, 2013 at 10:19:51 pm

aaaaaaahhhhhhh when i start the render it says incompatable effect unable to multiprocessor.

that is really strange because when i first loaded this file into adobe i rendered it within 20mins but now it keeps showing that error message.

this seems like the reason but why is this happening?

i just loaded the project file that i downloaded and tried to render it without adding any extra effects and yet again it said unable to multiprocess.

very odd it worked 2 days ago?????

thanks in advance and thatnks for the advice to check info panel that was great

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 31, 2013 at 6:53:51 pm

[Oliver Stewart] "i just loaded the project file that i downloaded and tried to render it without adding any extra effects and yet again it said unable to multiprocess."

See this in the help for the list of things that can temporarily disable multiprocessing:

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/memory-storage.html#main-pars_he...

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

James Osbun
on Nov 5, 2013 at 2:42:41 am

Hi Oliver,

Seems like you and I have similar questions. I too have a powerful computer that seemingly is not utilized by AE. Another similar point is that we are both using Trapcode Particular.

I have found Particular to be the source of my slow render problems, although that doesn't fix that AE wont use the resources of the computer to render... even without Trapcode AE seems to use a small fraction of what it could. If it would use my 24 cores and 64GB of RAM, I'm sure it wouldn't be nearly so slow... right?

My threads are:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/1043751 and
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1327782?tstart=0

If you have found an answer please let me know. I'll do the same.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]