ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Hardware for AE Dell precision 7619 + NVIDIA K5000 vs new Mac Pro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachaloHardware for AE Dell precision 7619 + NVIDIA K5000 vs new Mac Pro
by on Oct 27, 2013 at 3:08:20 am

Is anyone aware of benchmarks that would compare the new Mac Pro against a tricked out Dell workstation?

I am considering
Dell precision 7610 or 7619 with dual Xeon 8 core processors and a K5000 graphics card

Primarily running the creative cloud suite but also Davinci Resolve

You should follow me on Twitter here. My latest work

Return to posts index

Alex GerulaitisRe: Hardware for AE Dell precision 7619 + NVIDIA K5000 vs new Mac Pro
by on Oct 27, 2013 at 7:04:34 pm

I wouldn't expect app-specific benchmarks until it starts shipping.

Mac Pro's limits of six phys cores, AMD-only GPUs and 32GB memory make it an unlikely competitor for a tricked out T7600 or Z820 series though. There's not any secret sauce in the Mac Pro that'd make it faster than a similarly configured PC - and certainly not the one with more memory, faster CPUs, better suited GPUs (for Adobe CC).

Return to posts index

Eric BowmanRe: Hardware for AE Dell precision 7619 + NVIDIA K5000 vs new Mac Pro
by on Nov 14, 2013 at 8:29:50 pm

Alex, I agree that the speed of the new Mac Pro is still TBD, but you have your specs wrong. There will be 4, 6, 8 and 12 core models available and the memory limit will be 64GB (not 32). http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/mac-pro

Specs at the link above.

They are only showing the 4 and 6 core models pricing at the moment.

I'm in the same boat right now, trying to decide between a home built PC, name brand PC or the new Mac Pro. I spend about 80% of my time in AE and I'm even wondering about Xeons vs i7 CPUs. I do 3D work as well so I would imagine I'll be best served using Xeons with multiple CPUs for rendering but I'm in limbo until I start to see some benchmarks from the new Mac Pro.

Waiting is the hard part. :)

Eric Bowman
AssemblyCreative.com
EricSBowman.com

Return to posts index

Alex GerulaitisRe: Hardware for AE Dell precision 7619 + NVIDIA K5000 vs new Mac Pro
by on Nov 14, 2013 at 10:36:30 pm

[Eric Bowman] "you have your specs wrong"

I didn't when I looked at them last.

Future is what it is: not here yet. Z820 with 24 phys cores (48 virtual) is available now, ETA 11/23/13 if you order today. Up to 512GB memory, three high-power GPUs. The Mac Pro is just nowhere close.

Single CPU, and very, very limited choice of GPUs will likely be a limitation for people looking for ultimate performance.

Lack of enterprise backbone is another.

Lack of killer apps (what FCP7, Color and Motion used to be) is creeping up on Apple, too. Far as I am concerned, Apple desktops are doomed - not because they are bad (they're excellent), but because it can't be a profitable business for Apple.

-- Alex Gerulaitis | Systems Engineer | DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Eric BowmanRe: Hardware for AE Dell precision 7619 + NVIDIA K5000 vs new Mac Pro
by on Nov 15, 2013 at 3:49:23 am

I agree with a lot you are stating, and you must have been confused with the current Mac Pro model, and not the upcoming Mac Pro regarding memory.

As far as that 820 you're talking about, I've been looking at that exact model if I do decide to go to Windows again, but it gets pricey quickly. That considered I don't feel the 6 core 2013 Mac Pro is going to be a bad value. The AMD GPUs will be fine as well, as they are supported in Maya, C4D and even Element 3D. Unless I'm missing something, the only thing we will be missing out on is the new Raytrace 3D renderer in AE, which I personally rarely use; I imagine that's the case with other professionals too. Granted a choice in the matter would be preferred but it's not a deal breaker in my opinion.

As far as the original question, I would imagine the benchmarks will be pretty comparable to the Dell Precision workstation 7610 (You said 7619 but I don't see that) if you compare similar hardware; all the hardware is so similar now between Mac and PC. Just for grins I tried to spec a machine that is as close as possible to the 6core upcoming Mac Pro and the price increases quickly. I spec'ed the following:

Dell Precision T7610
CPU: Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2667 (Six Core, 2.9GHz, 15M, 8.0GT/s, Turbo) E52667
Memory:32GB DDR3 1600Mhz, ECC
Hard Drive:256GB SSD with PCIe Controller
GPU:2 x 4GB nVidia K5000
Total:$7193.50

Now, I know it's not a perfect comparison. The Dell has 16GB extra RAM on this configuration (not sure what the increase will be on the Mac Pro), more upgrade options internally regarding storage, options on graphics cards, and even a dual socket motherboard if you wanted to go that route. The Dell however is slower regarding the RAM speed (1600Mhz vs. 1866Mhz on Mac Pro), the processor is not configurable to what they will have in the Mac Pro, and from what I gather I believe the SSD storage they are planning on the Mac Pro will be faster.

Personally that's a big enough difference for me to consider the Mac Pro even if I have to buy an external Thunderbolt RAID. Still not sure which way I'm going to go, but I feel the Mac Pro is looking like a decent value.

Eric Bowman
AssemblyCreative.com
EricSBowman.com

Return to posts index

by on Nov 15, 2013 at 4:19:56 am

[Eric Bowman] "you must have been confused with the current Mac Pro model, and not the upcoming Mac Pro regarding memory."

I wasn't. I could probably find a cached version of the spec showing the 32GB limit but it's late, I am lazy, and a beer sounds more enticing than googling around.

Intel based Mac Pros have a 32GB limit on most models (8GB per memory socket) - per CPU, so the 32GB limit doesn't apply to them either. The upcoming one is the exception supporting 16GB per memory socket.

[Eric Bowman] "The AMD GPUs will be fine as well, as they are supported in Maya, C4D and even Element 3D"

Likely slower than NVidia counterparts where GPU acceleration in Adobe apps is concerned. (This is an After Effects forum, isn't it?) Also: you can use AMD cards in Dells and HPs if that's your cup of tea.

[Eric Bowman] "You said 7619 but I don't see that"

Somebody else did, not me.

[Eric Bowman] "Now, I know it's not a perfect comparison."

Let's first figure out what we are discussing. OP wasn't asking about prices, he was asking how would the upcoming Mac Pro compare to a tricked out T7610. That's not a comparison on value but on performance.

If you're interested in prices or value (performance per $), an HP Z420 or Dell T3600 are a far better match specs-wise: single CPU, support for multiple GPUs. Those will likely be much more competitive with the new Mac Pro on prices. They won't be as shiny and cylindrical of course but they will have a 3-year on-site warranty included, and you wouldn't have to talk to a Genius to get it fixed.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 15, 2013 at 5:02:53 am

Was simply trying to get back to the OP's original question, and the OP was the one that mentioned the 7619 not you. Benchmarks are not available yet for the new Mac Pro. Just trying to have a friendly conversation regarding the computer he is specifically asking about and how it MIGHT compare.

Eric Bowman
AssemblyCreative.com
EricSBowman.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]