ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

LED wall - odd aspect ratio

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Rozon
LED wall - odd aspect ratio
on Oct 25, 2013 at 5:05:44 pm

I have a basic understanding of after effects and I have an upcoming project that has me stumped.

Client has pandoras box – coolux video server which will be feeding an 8mm LED wall that is 4’ High by 192’ long. The operator/tech wants media to travel the full distance of the wall.

The tech has suggested i deliver the media in the following format.
• I break up a composition into 6 horizontal slices.
• an image would travel from left to right in the first/top horizontal slice
• Once the image gets to the far right side of the composition it would then pick up on the left side of the second horizontal slice
• Once the image gets to the right side of the second horizontal slice it would then pick up on the left side of the third horizontal slice.
• On and on through all slices to the very end.

The tech says he has the ability to take that stacked composition and spread that out evenly onto the LED wall. sounds good to me.

I dont have any idea on how to set up a composition to do this. I have a lot of media that has to be displayed this way so i am hoping i can set up a template that allows me to input whatever media that they want. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

mathew fuller
Re: LED wall - odd aspect ratio
on Oct 25, 2013 at 5:27:47 pm

The inches of the screen is kinda' irrelevant.

What are the Pixel dimensions of the comp you need to make?

I once had to make an absolutely huge animation for Nesquik to play on some weird sized screen in Times Square. And I was dealing with this same kind of thing.

Here's my suggestion.

Make the animation in one master comp. (all six screens)

Then place that master comp in 6 different compositions, one for each screen.

Then simply work out the math so that you move it on the X axis the proper amount, to make each of the 6 comps render out the portion of your master comp appropriate to that screen.

Make sense?

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

Paul Rozon
on Oct 25, 2013 at 5:30:52 pm

Simplicity is usually the best option. Your method sounds good to me. pixel count would be 5760 x 60

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 25, 2013 at 5:28:40 pm

Although the aspect ratio is weird, it sounds pretty simple: animate the images horizontally so they move from one side of the comp to the other.

Everything else is timing and getting the proper comp dimensions in pixels.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Rozon
on Oct 25, 2013 at 5:33:56 pm

I generated a comp of 5760 x 60 pixels as a test. pandoras box - coolux did not work at all with that comp size. That is why he suggested that I break it up into slices on a comp size that he could work with.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 25, 2013 at 5:37:34 pm

Hmmm... then how does this guy currently do what he does with this gizmo? You need some delivery specs; otherwise, how do you know what to make?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Paul Rozon
on Oct 25, 2013 at 5:43:17 pm

He hasn't done this before either so we are at the testing stage. He is confident that he can break out a stacked video into the 6 different sections across his LED wall.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 25, 2013 at 5:49:59 pm

Well, all I can tell you is that this isn't very tough to do, it's just the same animation -- albeit a really LONG-DIMENSIONED one -- on each of the six horizontal slices, offset in time.

Happy experimenting, I guess....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Paul Rozon
on Oct 25, 2013 at 5:52:17 pm

I suspect it wont be entirely happy experimenting. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 25, 2013 at 5:56:02 pm

it sounds like the the tech wants one file that he will cut up and reassemble for playout.

i would think he'd give you the size of the file that he wants, but if we do the math 5760 x 60 in 6 horizontal layers would make a 960 x 360 comp as the final comp.

as mathew and dave point out, you'll want to work in a 5760 x 60 comp, then take that comp into the 960 x 360.

at that point you'd duplicate it 5x and position the duplicates so they are stacked vertically like a layer cake, but each offset horizontally by 960 px. then render that for the tech.

i may have missed it, but you'll also want to have a frame rate to work with (i'd assume 30fps, but the tech should let you know). he should also give you a file type and codec... my best guess would be avi encoded as cinepak or maybe uncompressed, but uncompressed has a pretty high data rate for how these systems are typically configured.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Paul Rozon
on Oct 25, 2013 at 6:01:14 pm

I have worked with this server before and it prefers .m2v/mpg2. I am creating the comp right now and will be testing later today.

Thanks again for the help.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 25, 2013 at 6:22:24 pm

mpeg2 typically conforms to video standards, so that may conflict with 960x360, 30fps comp...

so you may find that you need to go with 1280x720 and a standard frame rate (23.98, 25, 29.97, 50, 59.94).

the frame size is the part that could complicate things.. since 720/6 = 120, that's 2x the 60 height of the led screen, but the width ratio would not be the same -- 6x1280 = 7680px, but double the led screen width would be 11520px, so you could be looking some squeezing to make that work out... that's if the 960x360 doesn't work.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 25, 2013 at 6:28:30 pm

now that i think about it, if you do need a 1280x720 output, just drop the 960x360 comp into a 720p comp and then choose layer>transform>fit to comp and render that...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Paul Rozon
on Oct 25, 2013 at 6:30:52 pm

I think you may be right about mpg not wanting to be anything but tv standard. Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 25, 2013 at 10:04:55 pm

[Kevin Camp] " just drop the 960x360 comp into a 720p comp and then choose layer>transform>fit to comp and render that."

No need to fit it to the comp. It doesn't have to fill the 1280x720 frame, it just has to fit within it. Staying 1:1 may be advantageous to avoid softening from scaling, given the low vertical resolution of the display.

Basically, Paul, you are slicing and dicing your very wide comp to fit in a standard video size, and then the Pandora tech will un-dice and un-slice to put it back together as you originally intended. It's like this:

"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ" is too long, so we rearrange it:

"ABCDEF
GHIJKL
MNOPQR
STUVWX
YZ"

And then just put it back together again on the other side.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
on Oct 28, 2013 at 9:31:46 pm

Here's the detail to support the other comments:

i) Create the end video on a 5760x60 composition. Note that its center point is x=2880, y=30.

ii) Create a 960x360 composition.

iii) Drop the 5760x60 comp into the 960x360 composition six times and set the Position coordiates as follows:

1: 2880, 30 (far left on top)
2: 1920, 90
3: 960, 150
4: 0, 210
5: -960, 270
6: -1920, 330 (far right on bottom)

iv) Export the 960x360 comp, possibly with Adobe Media Encoder depending on the codec.

This approach allows you to focus on the final output in the 5760x60 composition without having to worry about splitting and synchronizing each slice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]