ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Manipulating and animating individual points

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
keith vickersManipulating and animating individual points
by on Oct 24, 2013 at 10:39:01 am

Hi guys, I have a 8 pointed star. I want to revolve the star, scale it and have 4 points grow outward while the remaining points stay where they are.
Basically I want to know how to manipulate and animate single points on a bezier path. Is this possible?
I have already tried the Puppet tool(fantastic) but it does not give me the results I need.
Can any wise member help out a newbie?

Edit: I got the effect I wanted by scaling the stars Inner and Outer points in the shape layer's attributes for Inner and Outer points of the star.

I could still do with some hints on how how to animate single points.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Manipulating and animating individual points
by on Oct 24, 2013 at 5:54:28 pm

if you make your star as a mask on a solid rather than a shape layer, you can manipulate the individual points, however you'll lose the shape properties (like inner and outer radius).

just create a new solid, then (with that solid still selected) use the same star tool to create the star. since you have a layer selected, it will make a star shaped mask. you can then use the pointer tool to select a point and move it.

to animate that, you'd twirl down the mask properties and keyframe the mask path.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: Manipulating and animating individual points
by on Oct 25, 2013 at 5:34:07 pm

To expand on what Kevin said.

Keep in mind that the keyframes for masks always represent all the points on the mask. There is not a way to individually have a keyframe for each individual point on any given mask...

At least not that I know of... and I've never had a need to.

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Manipulating and animating individual points
by on Oct 25, 2013 at 10:43:28 pm

> There is not a way to individually have a keyframe for each individual point on any given mask...

At least not that I know of...

There are some handy scripts that add this ability.

Here's one:
http://aescripts.com/bao-mask-avenger

... and some here:
http://www.crgreen.com/aescripts/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

keith vickersRe: Manipulating and animating individual points
by on Oct 29, 2013 at 4:29:11 pm

Ok guys, thanks for the replies so there is no way of animating individual points on a shape.
So if I have a star and I want the effect of one of the points stretching out over time and returning to its original position how would I do that?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]