ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effect and FCP7 on a 13" macbook pro retina?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa NewtonAfter Effect and FCP7 on a 13" macbook pro retina?
by on Oct 24, 2013 at 3:32:25 am

I'm planning to buy a new macbook pro retina with 16 gb ram and i7 processor. I just can't decide between the 13" or 15".

I want something portable for I lean toward the 13", but I'm concerned the screen will be too small to comfortably edit video in After Effects and Final Cut Pro.

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience editing video on a 13" retina display and to know if you think it's adequate for occasional editing, mostly when travelling. I work on two displays at work and a 27" iMac at home.

I also wonder if a 15" screen is a bit 'in your face' watching movies on a flight?

Return to posts index

Sam LanesRe: After Effect and FCP7 on a 13" macbook pro retina?
by on Oct 24, 2013 at 9:49:43 am

I must admit, I've tried editing on a 13" Macbook and I really don't enjoy the experience. Because of the smaller screen size, I find it quite hard to manipulate the workspace in a way that I find comfortable to use, but then I do get a bit frustrated if I have to constantly move windows and panels around whilst editing.

I am sure if you put enough time into it, you could possibly set up a series of workspaces that could be quickly switched between if necessary and that you would find comfortable. Maybe I just like too much screen real estate when I edit?

As an aside, have you considered the compatibility of Final Cut 7 and Mavericks OS which would most likely be the OS that is shipped on a new system? It might be worth taking a look around and seeing if anyone has tested it for compatibility yet. As FCP7 is no longer properly supported, I would be conscious that some issues may occur from this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved