ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

ADVC 110 Analogue Output Delay?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blake CarlileADVC 110 Analogue Output Delay?
by on Oct 24, 2013 at 12:48:20 am

Hello. I'm not sure if this topic fits into the "After Effects" category, but I couldn't find info on this anywhere I looked. I've got a Canopus ADVC 110 which is meant to be used as a Analogue to Digital (DV) converter. There are RCA inputs in the front, RCA outputs in the back, as well as 6 pin Firewire 400 output in the back (in order to capture in FCP or other NLE). There's always a few frames of delay when a conversion happens Analogue > Digital, but Does anyone know if the RCA Anologue input to RCA Analogue output has any type of processing? Does it not introduce a delay because it's acting as a pas-through only? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Sam LanesRe: ADVC 110 Analogue Output Delay?
by on Oct 24, 2013 at 9:53:05 am

As far as I am aware, the ADVC110 can be used as a time-based corrector, so I am surprised you are seeing this delay. Where are you watching the captured clips from - the final files e.g. in Quicktime or in FCP?

Have you tried connecting your source directly to a TV to verify the audio is in sync on the source? I'm sure it is, but its always worth checking!

Do you have any other kind of capture card in the system but listening back to the audio, for example, via the built-in soundcard on the Mac?

http://www.aefromscratch.com

Return to posts index

Blake CarlileRe: ADVC 110 Analogue Output Delay?
by on Oct 24, 2013 at 6:10:52 pm

Hey Sam. My captured files are fine. I'm actually capturing videogame footage via firewire 400, but at the same time, I'm using the ADVC 110 to send out the analogue composite signal to a TV (so the player can play his game). So here's what a I really want to know: If I plug the gaming console's composite cables into the front of the ADVC 110, and send that analogue signal out the back from it's "Composite Out" connectors to the CRT TV, will there be any kind of lag on the TV screen the gamer is looking at? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: ADVC 110 Analogue Output Delay?
by on Oct 24, 2013 at 8:52:52 pm

This is something that is easily answered with.... a test! Try it yourself and find out for sure rather than relying on someone's memory.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Oct 24, 2013 at 9:04:39 pm

Hi Dave. It feels like there's no lag on the monitor, but I can't be 100% sure. Since it's a competitive gaming environment every frame counts. I was hoping that perhaps someone else on the Cow owned the ADVC 110 and knew more about it than me. It's an older product, but a good one I think -- Grass Valley's forums are all locked down and I couldn't get a straight answer from them on the phone. I'll try calling again.

Return to posts index

Alex GerulaitisRe: ADVC 110 Analogue Output Delay?
by on Oct 24, 2013 at 9:31:23 pm

[Blake Carlile] "There's always a few frames of delay when a conversion happens Analogue > Digital, but Does anyone know if the RCA Anologue input to RCA Analogue output has any type of processing? "

I don't know but it should given that it should preview the results of conversion (which is what introducing the delay), not E-to-E straight pass-through.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 24, 2013 at 10:21:16 pm

Hmm interesting thought, but would Grass Valley really do multiple conversions? Analogue In > Digital conversion > Analogue conversion > Analogue Out? Seems like that wouldn't show the true results of the initial conversion. I'm feeling noobish -- Does "E-to-E" stand for "End-to-End?" Thanks for all the input. I'm hoping I can get this cleared up today. Very difficult to find the answer online.

Return to posts index

Alex GerulaitisRe: ADVC 110 Analogue Output Delay?
by on Oct 24, 2013 at 11:36:31 pm

[Blake Carlile] "Hmm interesting thought, but would Grass Valley really do multiple conversions? Analogue In > Digital conversion > Analogue conversion > Analogue Out?"

Great point! Probably not. The converter is fairly expensive but not that expensive.

[Blake Carlile] "Does "E-to-E" stand for "End-to-End?""

Sorry: "electronic to electronic". Many tape decks had "E-E" (mostly broadcast methink) buttons so that you could switch between inputs vs. read-after-record to compare quality, audio levels, etc. (See "Tape EE button" here.)

Return to posts index

by on Oct 25, 2013 at 12:47:33 am

Oh yeah EE haha. Just got off the phone with Grass Valley and they say it has no processing for the analogue Composite outputs. Hurray! Thank you all for taking the time to help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]