ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Half a grid?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt JohnsonHalf a grid?
by on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:39:27 pm

That this should seem elusive must surely be the result of blunt force head trauma, but is there a native function in AE to generate an adjustable series of vertical or horizontal lines only, i.e., half of the standard grid plugin? Just looked again before adding what seems to be a ridiculous post, but the grid plug doesn't have a simple checkbox for including either/or. What'd I miss? Thanks!


Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Half a grid?
by on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:42:55 pm

You could use the grid with a very large spacing on the dimension you don't want, or you could create a path on a shape layer, stroke it, then add a repeater and use the repeater's transform property to offset the copies.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kurt JohnsonRe: Half a grid?
by on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:48:42 pm

Thanks Walter, agreed, it's not a complicated fix, but for as useful as it would be for generating all kinds of graduated layouts, I figured it may have been buried in the FX list somewhere under some arcane name. One of the community script geniuses might be interested in jotting out a handy script to do just this, with a keyframe-able offset value. Could produce some interesting effects simply.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Half a grid?
by on Oct 23, 2013 at 8:06:16 pm

venetian blinds? though i think id typically use grid and move the corner points off screen (either top/bottom of left/right)

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 All Rights Reserved