ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Image to dots transition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bas v BreugelImage to dots transition
by on Oct 22, 2013 at 2:04:19 pm

Hi Guys, I was wondering how you would make to following animation -

The part were some dots become an image.

Im starting out with Trapcode Form and using that as a 'mask' over the image. If somebody has a better suggestion, im glad to hear it. thanks.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Image to dots transition
by on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:01:20 pm

That's what, in the newspaper and printing industrie, was called a Halftone. It was created so that continuous tone images could be printed and maintain their greyscale values. There's a Red Giant plugin Toon It! which has a halftone setting - Toon It! Roto Toon Droplet setting is a good looking halftone effect:

There's also a free plugin, Retrodots, but it doesn't grade the size of the dot based on the contrast of the scene:

There's also the Omino Suite, which has a Halftone, but it doesn't look as if it's been developed for CS5 yet, let alone CS6:

I could swear there's another free halftone plugin floating around, but I can't find it - try search on "Halftone" and "After Effects".

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Image to dots transition
by on Oct 22, 2013 at 8:56:52 pm

to add to that list, trapcode's particular can do it if you have that ( used to have a tutorial, i'm sure there are others).

you can do it with card dance on a layer that is a grid of circles, and use a gradient layer to set the x and y scale of the cards.

you can even build your own with a whole bunch of circle layers and a couple expressions, but that seems pretty tedious...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Image to dots transition
by on Oct 23, 2013 at 7:06:22 am

You could also use a combination of Cartoon and CC Ball Action.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved