ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

fix for After Effects CC (12.0) crash on Mac OS X v10.9 (Mavericks)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Kopriva
fix for After Effects CC (12.0) crash on Mac OS X v10.9 (Mavericks)
on Oct 22, 2013 at 12:40:09 am

We just released a fix for the After Effects CC (12.0) crash on Mac OS X v10.9 (Mavericks):
http://adobe.ly/AE_CC_1201_Mavericks

IMPORTANT: The After Effects CC (12.0.1) update fixes a crash on Mac OS X (v10.9). There is no need to install this update on any other operating system. After Effects CC (12.1) is coming soon for all operating systems and includes this same fix plus many more features and bug fixes.

Adobe After Effects CS6 (11.0.3) was released a little while ago with this fix, plus fixes for many other crashes and bugs. Details: http://adobe.ly/AE_CS6_1103

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: fix for After Effects CC (12.0) crash on Mac OS X v10.9 (Mavericks)
on Oct 22, 2013 at 1:28:39 pm

IMPORTANT notes:

Be sure that you are signed in and have activated the software—i.e., ensure that you are not running After Effects in free trial mode. The update will not work if you are running the application in trial mode.

This update is only available as a manual download (not through the Creative Cloud automatic update mechanism) to prevent users on versions of Mac OS X other than v10.9 (Mavericks) from installing it unnecessarily.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Ryan Duff
on Oct 23, 2013 at 5:22:49 pm

I installed the 12.01 patch. AE launched 2-3 times, now i can not get it to run again. Everytime i launch AE CC it crashed.

Ryan Duff
ryan@ryanduff.com
http://www.ryanduff.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 23, 2013 at 5:25:03 pm

Try restarting the computer. Does it work then?

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Ryan Duff
on Oct 23, 2013 at 5:28:22 pm

after 10-12 crashes. i wrote the post. then went back and tried and AE DID launch.

seams VERY strange.

okay i will try that next.

Ryan Duff
ryan@ryanduff.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 23, 2013 at 5:30:34 pm

Be sure to report bugs here:
http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

... and be sure to fill in as much information as possible in the crash reporter dialog box that appears when a crash happens. Include your e-mail address. Right now, go to the Help menu in After Effects and enable the crash reporter.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Ryan Duff
on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:08:18 pm

So i restarted.

First launch worked just fine, worked for 3-4 minutes, saved and quit.

launched 5 times after that crashed EVERY TIME. Can't launch AE now.

when the splash screen comes up and the plugins are loading, it ALWAYS CRASHED on "Ray-trace 3D: Initializing (possible long delay)"

I updated my Cuda drivers to 5.5.28 and no change.

Ryan Duff
ryan@ryanduff.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:16:33 pm

Be sure to not be running any other applications that might be using the GPU when you start After Effects. This may be a problem of the applications competing for resources (specifically VRAM) and dealing poorly with the conflict. Note that web browsers use the GPU.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Ryan Duff
on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:24:57 pm

Wow stranger and stranger.

restarted, Launched AE (no browser), just fine, quit

Launched AE (WITH browser), just fine, quit

Launched AE (WITH browser), OPEN project, just fine, quit

Launched AE (WITH browser), crashed on "Ray-Traced 3d"

I'm not using "Ray-Traced 3d" can i De-activate it?

Ryan Duff
ryan@ryanduff.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Duff
on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:26:17 pm

....so i wrote the post,

launched AE (with browser) worked just fine?!??!?!?!

Ryan Duff
ryan@ryanduff.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:33:54 pm

> launched AE (with browser) worked just fine?!??!?!?!

You have a system with barely enough VRAM. Sometimes, your browser pushes the total amount used over the edge, triggering the problem; sometimes not.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:28:07 pm

For now (for the next several days), your best bet is to wait until you've got After Effects open to then start your web browser.

We have a fix coming in the After Effects CC (12.1) update, which should be out very soon, that should mitigate this problem by detecting when there's not enough VRAM available and prevent the ray-traced 3D renderer from trying to start if so.

This fix didn't get into the very focused 12.0.1 patch because that patch does one thing and one thing only: get past a crash on Mavericks.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Charles Jones
on Oct 23, 2013 at 11:46:59 pm

Is this really a fix or a scam to HACK my account again? Im really worried now

isn't it odd that all this trouble to be in the cloud and an UPDATE comes by a possible look alike adobe PAGE. (not saying it is but It worried me a little.

I am a little worried.

CJ

Return to posts index

Jack Whittle
on Oct 25, 2013 at 4:18:03 pm

I just get the error:

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 25, 2013 at 5:20:53 pm

Jack, that's a Mac OS error code, not an After Effects error code.

Details are here:
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/error-10810.html

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 31, 2013 at 8:50:21 pm

Today, we released the After Effects CC (12.1) update, which is now available to all Creative Cloud members.

Among many other changes and fixes, this updates enables After Effects CC to run on Mac OS X v10.9 (Mavericks). This full update makes it unnecessary to install the previous After Effects CC (12.0.1) patch. Unlike the After Effects CC (12.0.1) patch, the After Effects CC (12.1) update can be used to update the trial version of After Effects CC (12.0).

You can install the update through the Creative Cloud desktop application, or you can check for new updates from within any Adobe application by choosing Help > Updates. One way to check for updates is by closing all Adobe applications other than Adobe Bridge, and choosing Help > Updates in Adobe Bridge; this ensures that all processes related to Adobe video applications have been quit and can be updated safely.

For complete details, see this page.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Gates Bradley
on Mar 29, 2014 at 9:12:24 pm

I'm running the latest update of After Effects CC (12.2 I think it is), and I still can't load After Effects. It freezes on "loading Mediacore". Is there a solution? Cuz I've been combing through forums for hours. I even deleted all of my plugins to see if that would do the trick. Nope.

I waited months to install Mavericks (through two updates to it!), and all of these problems still exist? What gives?

As a side, Premiere's functionality is also crippled as well.

Adobe, please tell me you've figured this out by now?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]